Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Hi Desert Warrior

A reflection of good parents.
florida

I met two of the coolest children I've ever met anywhere at the springs. They were not only well behaved, they were eager to learn how to clean the pools. After they scrubbed it the Wizard was purely pristine!
paul belanger

HDW,
Maybe I did misunderstand you.  I thought you were saying kids shouldn't go in the pools with adults, no matter how well behaved they are.  A I stated, parental control is the key.  My kids do not splash in pools with adults.  They have been taught otherwise.  Also, my kids have been coming to Saline for their entire lives and know how to act in general.  As I stated before, kids should NEVER disrupt a pool.

As for persons, adult or children, who soak in the pools in dirty clothes, clouding up the water and leaving it un-soak-able for others, necessitating a drain and clean?  Well that is just horrible springs etiquette and is the kind of thing that should be spoken up firmly against.  Years ago, I picked up this way of putting it from some old Saline hand:  "We do not want to soak in the same water you wash your clothes in, this will not be tolerated.  If you must soak with your clothes/bathing suit on, shower your body and wash your clothes/bathing suit in the facilities provided, put the clean clothes/bathing suit on your clean body.  Then you are welcome to soak.  Otherwise, stay outta these pools."

Lys,
I couldn't agree more.  I like Memorial Day.  Also, one can catch some decent weather in June sometimes. Insects can be the issue, though, this time of year.  Labor Day can be good, too.  Or, if you are not a slave to society or school schedules, come during the week, anytime except spring break.

Bob,
I couldn't agree more.  Most people that get to Saline are fairly cool.  All of the new people need a little guidance, given politely.

And may I reiterate to all, 
Those of us with children, who like to share the Saline Valley with our children while they are still young enough to want to vacation with their parents, are bound by school schedules.  Usually a simple three day weekend is not enough time to do Saline.  Thanksgiving and Christmas are too cold, the days are too short.  Summer's too hot.  The one ideal time to go to Saline is Easter Vacation/Spring Break.  We don't do it just to piss you off.

Lysdexic

I like any time the temp goes north of 110, the asshat quotient goes way down.
SilverBob

I'd have to say that Pres. Day weekend has become our favorite time at the springs.  We find more of what we've come to think of as a "traditional" Saline Valley crowd.  Maybe it's because you have to be so determined to get there that it brings us together, while it weeds out the "noobs" and those who just come in on a whim.  Easter/Spring Break offers (usually) perfect weather, lots of families, and folks who don't really "get it" yet.  Cut 'em some slack, though.  We were all newbies at one time or another.  It's up to us "seasoned" veterans to show them the way.

Hi Desert Warrior

Sorry Paul, I guess you mis-understood me.  My point was the inconsiderate father who saw us Adults soaking in the wizard pool and brought his four kids over, who were playing in the volcano pool with the other families and their kids.  After he and his kids played and splashed about, they returned to the volcano pool where the other kids were having a great time of their life, laughing and splashing.  Also, parent control of their children.  Such as the preteens playing in the Koi pool at the lower springs.  I keep away from the springs on Thanksgiving and Presidents Day.  I don't like crowds and if Easter is an example of what happens at the other events with inconsiderate people then I am happy in not attending.  During those other events do more people with cloths on soak in the pools than those without?
Just wondering. 
Route 66

I was at the Springs in the week before Easter.  It was not as crowded as I thought it would be but there were still a lot of kids there which is to be expected during Spring break I guess.
Don't mind a few kids around but don't like it when it looks like a school outing.  Obviously, will not go again during Spring Break. 
paul belanger

About 2 years ago, I had The Grateful Dead channel on satellite radio going in my campsite during the afternoon, at a slightly loud level.  I was told impolitely (not asked) to turn it down.  I turned it down, but thought, hell, it's the afternoon, why can't I listen to my music?

Isn't it interesting how a thread that began insinuating that children should not be brought into the pools when adults are present..... mutates into the outside possibility that one should not break up another's loud revelry as "they are having the time of their lives."  Even though it was keeping myself and my family awake.

It's always been pretty laissez faire out there in Saline, likely always will be.   I try to live and let live, just not after 10:30 at night. 

McFanny said it best, if we are respectful of each other, all the rest will take care of itself.
T O Douuble D

HAHA! Yeah Paul the people I heard thought they sounded good as well. The following day I was sitting in the Volcano Pool and overheard some people hanging out in the palm trees talking about their singing the night before. They had no clue how loud they were and even thought they probably sounded good. I corrected them and they took it well. I did find it interesting that while they were singing at first it bothered me and a few people around me, but after I thought about it I realized who am I to ruin such revelry?

Cheers!
Hi Desert Warrior

Bulley for you, Paul
paul belanger

No No No!  I have encountered loud off key singing at the lower springs fire ring couple of times. I gave 'em till 10:30, then head down there and ask them to stop.  Both times the singers obliged my request without problems.

The last time this happened, as I was walking away back to my campsite, one of the singing perpetrators called out, "but it sure sounded good, didn't it?"  I hesitated, thinking it best not to say anything.  Again a singer called out, "come on, you know it was good!"  My need for honest and true discourse overcame me.  I walked back slowly and said, "no, absolutely not. It sounded like a bunch of drunks banging on pots and screaming off key.  It was f***ing horrible. Absolutely F***ing horrible.  I hope you all have decent day jobs."

Anyone remember Mandolin Frank?  <shudder>

T O Douuble D

So what was people's take on the loud and very off key group singing on Friday the 5th? I was at Palm Springs and the singing was coming from lower springs and it was still loud. Personally I thought it was great. Sure it went on past ten and kept me up, but even though it was about the worst group singing I'd ever heard I found it amusing since it was obvious they were having the time of their lives.
mcfanny

I would say that the problem isn't kids at the springs, nor dogs, or loud music. It's simply disrespectful people who seem to think that going to Saline where there is no formal contol means they can act however they want, regardless of their fellow campers. Thankfully this is a pretty small segment of the people who come to the springs, but a nuisance nonetheless. I can't think of any better way than to try and talk politely to people about the negative effects they are having on others, but unfortunately there are people who simply don't care. I guess we can all at least be thankful for the fact that the majority of people we meet out there are absolutely some of the best people you'll meet. At least I hope that's the case for more than just my family...
paul belanger

Red Jeep

I was pretty sure YOU were not telling me how to raise my kids.  And, I did know about what you are indicating, but I refuse to live my life in fear.

ltlredjeep

Paul....I'm not suggesting how you or anyone else should raise their children and if it has been interpreted that way I apologize. The point I was trying to make (being in education field) is how seemly innocent behavior by either a child or parent can become a parents nightmare that can last for years.  I have seen it happen and I only bring it up as a point of discussion when the topic turned to children at the Springs. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!