Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment  
P3Tacco

Check this out - article on the earthquake affect on Devil's hole where the pupfish are. The video is pretty amazing!

https://www.sfchronicle.com/travel/article/What-about-the-pupfish-How-the-7-1-Ridgecrest-14106965.php
Jukebox Mark

I’ll third that.

Thank you very much, Silver Bob. Good-news.
Salt Peter

Thanks for the recon mission.
[thumb]
SilverBob

I don't know if he has a Sat Phone or not, but I do know that I don't have the number.

Anyway, Michelle and I just got home from the springs.  I'm happy to report that there has been no noticeable change in the flow rate or temperature of either the Lower Spring or Palm Spring sources.  The valve to the Sunrise Pool was full open, the bathtub was running and the Crystal Pool was flowing at a comfortable summertime temperature.  With all that happening, the source was about 10" below the high water mark, and still about a foot above the outlets for the pools.  At Palm Spring, the Volcano was running about half open, the Wizard was just open slightly, and the shower was on full blast.  The source level was almost overflowing.

Before we left we turned both pools on full and turned off the shower.  That seems to do the best job of watering the Palm Trees.

I have some pictures to post, but I'm going to bed now.  Maybe tomorrow.

Cheers! 
paul belanger

Lovely. That's the spirit. Guess I thought there was a camp host out there with a sat phone....
SilverBob

OK then!  Since everyone is curious but nobody seems to want to go check,  I'll drop everything and drive to the springs tomorrow.  I'll check the flow, temperature, etc. and report back when I get home.

Stand by for info!
paul belanger

You know I love Major Tom. I know he lives in Alaska. I started this thread to get some field reports on geothermal flows in Saline Valley.

Any news on that?
slash2

Well then, here's to hoping he doesn't have a mess to deal with when he comes back!
SilverBob

Since Major Tom is in Alaska, I'm pretty sure he didn't even feel the earthquake. 
slash2

I hope Major Tom rode out the quakes in Ridgecrest without damage. It was posted on Facebook that he made it through the the 6.4 fine, so they're thinking he probably made it through the 7.1 okay too.

Problem is that a 7.1 is dramatically more powerful than a 6.4. This is a screenshot of a seismograph recording of the the quakes in San Mateo.

I hope he made it through the 7.1 without damage as well! 

Wishing you the best Major Tom!

seismograph.jpg

Macfly

I was wondering the same thing, no reports the valley as yet?
bb

Curious as well.. I'm headed in next Saturday so will update if nothing comes in after this weekend. 
paul belanger

Soliciting reports from the field. Some impact? Low-impact? No impact?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution