Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
carexpert

Alcohol, stupidity, and in my opinion, a sense that the Feds make rules that don't apply to them. It will be interesting to follow and yes, Florida, you may throw up...
florida

How does anyone justify behavior like this? It is beyond idiocy. If they start spewing anti-gov rhetoric I'm going to vomit myself.
jynxx1970

WHAT [biggrin]
Salt Peter

Great news
James Sel

Quote:

Conspiracy to commit a crime, killing of an endangered species

PRESS RELEASE

SUSPECT(S):
SCHWINKENDORF, Steven, 29, Pahrump, NV
REYES, Edgar, 35, North Las Vegas, NV
SARGENT, Trenton, 26, Indian Springs, NV

CHARGE(S):
Charges are projected to be taken at the federal level. Charges include Conspiracy to commit a crime, killing of an endangered species, destruction of property, trespassing, destruction of habitat, ex-felon possession of firearm.

DETAILS:
A collaborative investigation between the National Park Service and Nye County Sheriff's Office Scorpion Task Force has led to the identification of the three suspects involved in the trespassing and property destruction at the Devils Hole section of Death Valley National Park. Suspects Steven SCHWINKENDORF, of Pahrump, Edgar REYES, of North Las Vegas, and Trenton SARGENT, of Indian Springs have all been interviewed and will be subsequently charged for their actions which occurred on 04/30/16.
NPS officers contacted a detective with the Scorpion Task Force on 05/02/16 after the damage was discovered. Subsequent investigation led to the collection of evidence, including DNA, along with video surveillance. The surveillance footage was viewed, and SGT KLENCZAR of the NCSO was able to investigate and locate the off road vehicle seen in the video. The vehicles' owner was identified as SCHWINKENDORF, and detectives from both agencies made contact with SCHWINKENDORF for an interview, during which more information was obtained.
REYES was contacted by phone, stated that the subject in the video was indeed him, and directed further questions to his attorney.
SARGENT was also contacted by phone and interviewed. Based on the investigation of the crime scene and the interviews with the suspects, investigators determined the threesome had been drinking and out shooting rabbits when they came to Devil's Hole. They jumped the fence of the clearly marked protected area, and in the course of their unlawful visit destroyed an electronic sensor by shooting it with a shotgun, damaged two surveillance cameras, and rammed and shot two gates causing damage. Their unlawful visit ultimately culminated with at least one of the suspects stripping off their clothes and entering the water of Devils Hole. The suspect(s) in the water stomped around the shelf area of the critical ecosystem before swimming around the deeper water, leaving behind a pair of dirty underwear when finished.
In addition to the gates and cameras, a large sign near Devils Hole was shot multiple times with a shotgun. Assessments of the financial loss are still being conducted, but will be felony in nature. The intrusion is believed to have resulted in the death of at least one endangered Devils Hole Pupfish, and fisheries biologists are trying to ascertain the extended damage that may have been done to food sources and egg sites which could lead to more loss of a species who's numbers are now below the last count of 115 in existence. The killing of an endangered species is a felony crime.
Other charges including tresspassing, damage to habitat, and conspiracy will be added. Additionally, it is believed that at least one of the suspects is a convicted felon making it illegal to possess or be in involvement with others possessing a gun. The NCSO and NPS would like to thank all of the people who called in with information and helped keep the case active. END OF REPORT

appletreasures

I am very pleased that investigators have located those involved with the recent vandalism at Devils Hole.
I fear that if such places were more easily accessible, more careless people would do this kind of damage.

Sam D.

Apprehended:

https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1563/update-deva-vandalism.htm
Salt Peter

Great news!
Get them ready for the gallows.
James Sel

I'm just heard they guys have been ID'd and found. Details to come.
Route 66

If it weren't for the NPS, fools like this would destroy all of Death Valley.  I hope that when they are caught, they get the maximum sentence.  Too bad there is not a caretaker at Devil's Hole.  I'm sure that if there weren't a full time "host" at the Springs, they would be destroyed too 
speakeasy

How far is the Devil Hole from SVHS?
Salt Peter

Too bad they didn't end up at the bottom of Devils Hole.
James Sel

I think they will be caught. The vehicle will be key. Hopeful.
speakeasy

I hope NPS seek professional law enforcement help in collecting finger prints and DNA samples.
Sam D.

Youtube video of the vandals in action:
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution