Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 6      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next
XPBC

Many times tools need to be used beyond their capacity especially out in remote places like Saline.  This is exactly why you should never buy Harbor Freight crap if you intend on using beyond your garden.  Get stuff you can count on when you need it the most.

Tipi Rick

Rickandrus:  Great story and good for you to set him straight.  But here's some advice for you: Better to set your camp on high ground and not in a wash.   Been there done that.  Rain can do amazing things and very unexpectedly.
Tipi Rick

Don't forget a towing strap.  Altogether I have straightened several hairy Saline jack knifes, pulled many out of ditches, 5 vehicles one night in a South Pass blizzard (took about 4 hours) and even towed two Russian ladies who lost transmission fluid (fix those pans with Bondo, another good thing to carry) all the way from Marble Canyon to Lone Pine (she was expert at being towed--knew SHE was the brakes and I was the accelerator--amazing how many cant get that straight).  Of course, I have been rescued as well, like the time 25 years ago when I flipped on my side on the Bat Road.  EVERYbody has had or will have trouble along the hellish way to this heavenly paradise.  Don't forget your towing strap.  And I found a new aluminum floor jack at Harbor Freight I'm thinking of getting.  Nothing like a floor jack compared to the lousy factory jack.
paul belanger

My wife is rolling her eyes at me, wanting to purchase another gadget for off road excursions.  (She's frugal, one reason she is a great wife.)  I told her no no no...the more things you have, the less likely you will get stuck.  I changed a tire on our trailer last trip, messing with the jack compared to this is silly.  Hell, you should have a high lift jack anyway.  If you haven't bought one yet, buy this thing instead.
paul belanger

Gotta get one!  I priced them on google sales, $50-$300, depending on weight rating.  The "X-Jack" as seen in the Aussie videos seems to be a Range Rover accessory....it was $250 plus tax and shipping.

Looks like it would fit behind the seat.
Neotoma

Having read the above linked article, I immediately looked up "exhaust airbag jack" on Youtube.  You've got to be kidding!!  Where has this been for all my life? What an incredible device! I can't believe I mucked around with a 70lb hi-lift jack all those years, with pinched fingers. I cannot get one of these soon enough. I'm still laughing, and slapping my forehead!

Man oh man.  The things I don't know...
James Sel

LOL!!!
paul belanger

I freshened this thread to share rickndurs posting of "How to murder your mail order bride in Death Valley."  this is some funny chit, check it out.....
Lysdexic

The Bat fell off the pole, Lee has it.
rickandurs

Have to pass this on, lessons learned and advise for the unprepared.

Thanks Loco Pete.

How To Murder Your Mail Order Bride In Death Valley

http://jalopnik.com/5910170/how-to-murder-your-mail-order-bride-in-death-valley

XPBC

I must have missed the Bat Missing over St Pat. week.

Commando Paul

I believe it's Ch 13...  The FRS/GMRS walkie-talkies work well out there too, and much of the traffic is on Ch 7-0

hidesertwarrior

I drove to the hot springs the week before St Patricks Day and noticed the metal Bat was missing from the Bat pole, west of lower springs.  Did the Park service remove it, as they did with the clothing opitional sign?  Also, is there a common CB channel for Saline Valley?

Commando Paul

Justin,

That's a great story and a piece of history that we ought to remember.  Maybe the Scouts could get some traction in re-establishing that excellent life-saving program. 

Commando P

The hermit

I can't imagine how someone could get lost on a road in DV. Much less go over lippencott or hunter mtn on accident. Common sense dictates knowing how far a tank of gas will go(or a gas can). Turn around unless you know where the next gas station is! Dont push it.5gallons isn't much offroad!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!