Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 6      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next   »
Hi Desert Warrior

You should be fine.  A compact SUV should have no problem, recommend heavy duty tires or keep you speed down, like you stated.  I have 8 ply A/T tires and do an average of 20 MPH on the north route without having any flats.  On the south route going out twice I had a flat each time near the grapevine area, but none on the north pass.
Last week, arrived on Monday about 1 PM.  Overcast sky, temp. around 84.  Light rain drops off and on, no wind.  No stars that night and temp when down to the low 50s, Spent the night in the sleeping bag.  Tuesday, scattered clouds a few light rain drops, but temp at 86 in the afternoon.  Cloud cover at night but warm enough to sleep on top of the sleeping bag with only a blanket.  Woke up to a clear sky Wednesday morning with a very slight breeze.  Clear day with temp about 88.  Clear night sky with a lot of stars.  Slept on top of bag and blanket as night was warm.  Thursday morning was clear until 11 AM, then the clouds started to come in and pile up.  Wind started to blow in different directions increasing in pitch.  A storm cell approach from steel pass with lightening as the wind increased.  A couple about 100 yards away started to take down their canopy when the top was blowen off and the frame got bent.  They seeked shelter in their car.  A heavy down pore of rain for about 20 minutes with hail occured.  Then the cell continued south toward the salt lake.  The skies cleared with scattered clouds.  The couple had planned to leave on Friday, but after the storm, they decided to leave and packed up and drove out.  About an hour later another cell came in by way of steel pass.  As it got to the ridge line north of the springs the wind shifted and the cell followed the ridge line to the base of the Inyo Mountains with lightening strikes, and turned south above the south Saline road.  After that, the clouds were patchy, the wind died down and it turn out to be a nice afternoon.  Friday was great!  Clear sky day and night, daytime temp. about 95.  Left Saturday morning a couple of hours after florida and the north route out was very good with little dust on the road.  This week I heard the temp were going to be in the high 90s.  I wished I could have stayed longer. 
skidlick

hello: I was out there 8 years ago and took the north pass in my honda civic, it was cool because I was advised to just keep my speed under 10 mph.(to not get a flat)
this time we will be in the new Honda CR-V. Can someone please advise me if this north pass will be ok in this car?? Im coming out from nevada and would be disapointed if I had to turn around.
chili dude

I was all packed and ready to go last week, but my eyes were on the weather and I particularly didn't like what I saw on Thursday's radar!  I was a bit weary to go all that way to find the road washed out, so I cancelled my trip there.  It's great to hear the road didn't suffer any damage, although it pained me a little to learn that I could have made it!  Well, the car was packed so I went exploring the hot springs in the vast Black Rock Desert.  It was a very nice consolation prize.  That place is quite fascinating.
Salt Peter

Thanks for the update. How hot was it in Saline?
The forum has been pretty dead with the onset of higher temps.
Hi Desert Warrior

Last Thursday big storm passed over the springs with heavy down pore of rain for about 20 minutes.  It also hailed the size of B B's.  Next cell blew toward the base of the Inyos with lightning and heavy rain.  Came out Saturday on the north pass road and road was in very good condition.  No washouts!  Just the regular washboards here and there.
Hi Desert Warrior

You must have been in Marble Canyon near the mines.  Or on the grade toward the pavement.  The grade is very rocky on the way up or down.
Guess I have been lucky, so far.
Salt Peter

Heck I got a flat about 7 miles from pavement on the way out. There is always the one rock with your name on it. Took it easy on the spare the rest of the way.
Hi Desert Warrior

Just spent the last week at the middle springs and came out the north pass on Thursday afternoon. In the past I have been using the North pass to visit the springs.  My average driving time in and out is two hours from the black top to the middle springs.  Last Thursday, I left the middle springs at 4:15 PM and got to the black top at 6:20 PM averaging 25 MPH.  About four years ago I would average 30 MPH.  Today, there are a few ruts and a couple of medium deep ones but not too bad.  A VW bug was parked next to me at the springs so I guess if he can make it, cars of medium height can do it.  Compact SUVs and bigger should have no problems.  I drive a Jeep Wrangler with Standard AT tires and so far never had a flat using the North pass.  When I first came to the springs I used the south pass and received a flat tire each time.  First with with 4 plys then with 8 plys.  Since I started used the North pass, no problem.
florida

The beer comment should NOT have gone on the "driving tips" forum. Sorry!
florida

I will NEVER go to Saline again without extra gas!!!!!!! And I am working on a second tyre mount too. Also, always one more case of beer than you think you could possibly need!lol
Sam D.

My favorite saying is "A rental will go where your beefed up 4x4 offroader will not"

Unfortunately, the era of rentals at Saline is coming to an end. Most rental companies are beginning to install RFID and/or GPS trackers and
will charge you hefty fees (up to $3K)  for taking the rental off road. Most rentals, including 4x4's, AWD's etc have street rated tires and a doughnut
spare. I exited the springs on a doughnut tire and I exited on a hose wrapped around the rim. I am always mindful what can happen if I 
puncture more than one tire. I drive extremely slow and carry an air pump along with some plugs and slime and few canisters of fix-a-flat.
Miller Towing routinely charges from $2K to $5K for tow from SVHS. Take it easy on your rental and drive very slow to avoid tire punctures.

P.S.  Loss Damage Waiver, in my opinion, is the best thing invented ever. I strongly suggest getting it.

screamingcheetah

Confirmed on the RENTAL vehicle!  Learned that at another's expense when they blew a strut the 1st mile of N.Pass.

I have since then ALWAYS rented a good sized SUV. Ripped it up like Jeff Gordon doing the backcountry, tore up a catalytic converter cover plate on another, and lastly even had the wheel fall of w/ the rim ground down to a smoothe cylinder.  The main common denominator I've noticed with agents is 'don't scratch the paint'. 

One might think, "Wow. what an a*hole for ripping up those vehicles!". But with companies like Enterprise Rental which boasted a $15.4 billion profit last year, I return such vehicles with a big 'ole smile on my face; and most importantly a clear conscience.  ;-)

XPBC

I passed a new VW Beetle on the way in 3-13 that was going about two MPH North Pass.  Cool dude, Tony, said he takes six hours to get in and same to get out.  If you have to go in a car you have to drive accordingly.  Jeep Rubicon with 4" long arm and Kevlar tires gets me in or out in 2 to 2 1/2 hours without worries.  A slight storm would cripple that VW and us high clearance guys would have to drag him to saftey.
my 2 sents
saddlerider

Love the RENTAL response, though the rental agencies may get a little per snickety if you drive into the lot and a wheel or two falls off! 
SilverBob

That question has been asked countless times, and the subject has been beaten to death.  The only conclusion upon which we can all agree is that the best vehicle for Saline Valley roads is A Rental !!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!