Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 4      1   2   3   4   Next
peneumbra

The whole "service animal" thing is so unfair!

I went in a Fry's grocery store just yesterday with my service badger and...
ski3pin

George, I appreciate your comments on owners and their dogs. When the problem is solved at Saline, I hope the same tactics can be used inside our local Safeway food store.
TopoF2

...i was camped at a further up the road site..Solar Don made his way up said the Park Police were gonna visit and to be sure my dog was on a leash. i was standing there, the dog near by, on a leash...a thirty foot leash. i did not trust the dog off leash, she would just as soon run off and chase coyote and not come back. funny how she did not bark at Solar Don
PahrumpGeorge

There has been an unusual amount of discussion about the dog issues at the springs. This topic has been discussed for years and the only thing which has changed is, the problems have worsened. More people seem to bringing dogs, some multiple animals; all off-leash and crapping all over the place with no pick up. Well behaved, disciplined animals can be tolerated, however undisciplined and uncontrolled animals are unbearable; this is totally the fault of their owners. Unfortunately, their owners often do nothing when there is a problem as they seem to be lacking social responsibility, or just simply do not care.

Posting signs and/or talking to these problem owners may have some positive impact, but often times it produces little more than an argument. Bottom line is that signage and talking simply is not enough; without effective and meaningful enforcement, the animal problem will continue. If signage alone were an effective deterrent, then we would net need a police force to enforce highway speed limit signs. 

Unfortunately, the springs seriously needs animal control enforcement by some effective means, most likely NPS Rangers issuing citations. I, for one, am not in favor of any increased NPS involvement at the springs, it should be volunteer operated and maintained as much as possible. It would be totally hypocritical for LL to even attempt to enforce any animal control regulation since he was once one of the biggest offenders. When Jake was alive, he was almost never on a leash, then only when a NPS Ranger about to show-up; that is how we knew they were coming. Jake even stole a cooked chicken carcass out of my camp one night. 

Wish I had a less intrusive suggestion. Something needs to be done and soon, the animal problem has become epic

Happy soak'n.
Geo.

oregonjohn

You can PM me as you have done in the past.

OJ
Sam D.

Oregon John, how can I contact you?  It seems all options to contact you via this forum are disabled in your account. Please PM me when have nothing better to do. Many Thx.
Sam D.

new dog sign.jpg 
powderbronco

I got two hogs , a goat and a Glock !
dautremont

I would imagine that if the NPS receives enough complaints about the dog issue, along with some "close call" incident reports, the rangers will post proper signage to avoid accusations that they did nothing about the problem.  Then it will be up to people to read and comply, or ignore the signs.  This is the way most issues like this get resolved, except for the scofflaws.  
trigger

Screw it. I’m not bringing my dog anymore. Just gonna bring my chickens. Everybody loves chicken.
peneumbra

No, you're WRONG!
There'd be plenty to argue about!
Sparky of SoCal

To simple, those actions would leave nothing to argue about
Glidergeek

You guys are really over thinking this. Simply put up a few simple signs (pleasing to the eye) possibly at the road entrances. Then get the camp host (LL) to get some balls and remind the offenders of the rule when violating, if they ignore and wont comply turn them into NPS. It's only a matter of time somebody gets bit or a fight erupts over this and it becomes a black eye for the springs.
dautremont

It seems odd that one hopes the burros and coyotes could do a better job about the barking, intrusive dogs than people could do.  
slash2

It's the barking that bugs me the most. I can deal with a moderately aggressive dog, I can deal with a camp robbing dog, I can even put up with a pile of poop now and then, but continuous barking, that just sucks.

People please, if your dog is a barker leave it at home! Listening to you ineffectually yell at your dog to stop barking is just as bad.

If only the burros and coyotes could be conditioned to go after the barking dogs..... problem solved!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution