Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
paul belanger

I totally agree with heroicbill about there being two kinds of guys.  I just don't want to read about it on "Saline Valley Talk".  Knowhattamean? <gag> <cough> <smile>
heroicbill

Wow, way to be A-holes.

RpzInc, you must have a 1500 with IFS?  The 2500's have a solid front axle and it's more robust than the IFS.

Spankster, I have a stock 2500 diesel and I take a cab-over camper in every time I go.  I used to have a Chevy dually long bed with the camper.  North and south are no problem - except for the road conditions.

As far as spanking it, there are two kinds of guys.  The guys who do it, and the guys who lie.  heh

Tule

No worries mate, your Dodge will be OK if it's in good shape and you don't drive like a knucklehead.  The road is wide enough for your truck.  I've seen plenty of big pickups out there and the diesel will make it in and out on one tank easy.  What its really all about are the tyres and shocks. Don't care for those Toyos.  Have fun!
Spank Monkey

Thanks for the advice.  Very differing opinions!   
Unregistered
Has this person earned any insults, just because of a harmless nickname?  I don't think so.  Have a safe and fun adventure Spank----!
trigger

Lol! I always enjoy the bash sessions. You can bring your Dodge. I also have an 04 2500 cummins with a custom 4 inch lift and 35 inch Toyo MUDs. I have been through many tires on many rigs with a lot of hard core 4wheeling and the Toyos are by far some of the very best. The large sidewall lugs act as another set of treads when you air down and you definitely want to air down!!! The Toyos side lugs are big. Come in south pass or north pass. If your coming in with only one veh. and the road conditions don't improve I would strongly advise coming in north pass. I almost always come and go through south pass and I've seen it in pretty bad shape but from the recent photos it really does seem unusually bad. As long as your well equipped (extra fuel, extra spare, emergency food, water, tools and rum) and hopefully some experience you'll most likely be fine.
RpzInc

Don't go in your dodge. I have big dodge, take my word you will need to rebuild more then shocks if you go. the tie rods on our trucks suck, also the lower ball joints are upside down by design, its a poor design and a pain in the butt to fix. they dont press in like normal ball joints, they are rivitted in with hardened steel rivits. you have to drill them out and bolt new ones on. takes about 4 hours of solid work once the arms are off of the truck. or 600 bucks a side at a shop. ohh and because they are upside down they tend to shear off with large amounts of vibration. the roads to saline valley have the worst wash board I have ever seen.
Spank Monkey

So the road is generally wide enough for a full size truck?  I went up Pleasant Cyn last Fall and the over growth trashed my truck.  I was hoping to avoid a repeat.  I've seen some talk about the washboard on south pass and after doing the Eureka Dunes road, I had to rebuild my front shocks.  Even after I aired down.  I'd like to avoid that if I can. 

Unregistered
Let him go via Lippencott or Dedeckera. Once he gets in trouble hopefully he won't come again. Hey spank lover, take S. Pass it's all good
Salt Peter

I would advise against Lippencott or Dedeckera adventures with that size of a vehicle. I rarely try to dissuade anyone.
XPBC

There is no adventure without uncertainty.  If your certain you can make it in and out you wil be without adventure.  How boring.
Unregistered
I m sorry, spanklover. That guy got your joke most likely cause he's a perv like you. Btw, put some green spank into your tires to prevent minor leaks.
RpzInc

Any time A form about anything is started their will always be drama, just ignore that junk and go enjoy the place. I have a big dodge ram with 8" of lift and 35 toyos on it. I know it would make it but lets be honest, the suspension in a ram with 35's sucks on any dirt road, saline valley road will indeed drive you crazy your max speed will be 1mph and you will need extra gas. for a first trip carry as much gas as you can. carry your trucks tank size in extra fuel and fill up at the last point.
also consider toyo mud 35" tires are 325$ each so one flat tire will cost far more then renting a 4wd suv with good tires. I take my 4runner just because id be pissed if i blew out one of my toyos.
Spank Monkey

Thanks for the input.  "Big Red" (my Dodge) is 4wd so it looks like I can make it in. I always carry chains.  My concern was tight spots in the road.  Looks like Lysdexis was the only one who got the Spank Monkey joke.  A few of you need to pop another couple of prozacs.
Salt Peter

Actually the comment about the fuel is a critical factor of getting to, exploring, and getting out of Saline Valley safetly. Don't forget some drinking water
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution