Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Kevin Mokracek

Death Valley in 49 is a great book.  Several years back I found the mustard colored first edition in a local used book store for $5.    I have since seen them going anywhere from $200-$500.  

Death Valley Men by Bourke Lee is another good read as well as Lee's other book simply called Death Valley.  Lots of cool stories in those books.
carexpert

Yes that's it. In addition to Manly's account, Roger's, Rev Brier's and Nusbaumer's letters and journals are in the book. Very cool to read.  None of them touch on SV unfortunately...
Sparkus Maximus

Is this the book you're talking about..?

SC-20170426-101054.jpg 

From reading the description, it looks to me more than just a rehash of Manly's autobiography...does that sound accurate..?

I just ordered "Beyond This Place There Be Dragons: The Routes of the Tragic Trek of the Death Valley 1849ers Through Nevada... (American Trails Series)"

Apparenty LeRoy & Jean were quite the trail scholars ... LeRoy passed away last December 26th

What about the book "Julia" the Johnsons wrote..?  Is it merely a retelling of their book with a different title..?

There is also a great retelling of the Manly account annotated by LeRoy and Jean Johnson. The couple researched and hiked the likely route Manly and Rogers took from and back to DV. A fascinating read for those interested in the Bennet-Arcane families adventures in '49. A lot of the route is definitely now in China Lake NWC but some is accessible.
"Escape from Death Valley"  ISBN 0-087417-108-3
genocache

The author(Koenig) of the book mentioned above did in the 60's-70's. Hiked and drove it following the many descriptions given in various '49er journals.
Sparkus Maximus

Have you traced the route..?

Besides what is now China Lake they went through what is now Area 51.
Sparkus Maximus

Epic true story, suggested reading for any desert rat with a curiousity of history.

So much info is in the footnotes...I'd like to plot them & the Jayhawker routes...although parts are in China Lake Navy Reserve & unaccessable, I think the other parts of the routes can be traced (and maybe re-enacted)...

Read beyond this place there be dragons by George Koenig really informative, One group of "packers" actually went past the race track, down Lippencott, Lee Flat, thru Darwin Wash and met up with the Jayhawkers around Walker Pass cutoff. Packers were men who traveled without wagons, but used backpacks or pack animals instead.
Salt Peter

Yep, part of my DV library.
Sparkus Maximus

Anybody else familiar with this autobiography by William Lewis Manly (it's available at the Visitors Center, and the Gutenburg Project posted an online version for free)...

Great book, helps put the area in perspective & understand how Death Valley got it's name (by the Bennett-Arcane party in 1849)...

ISBN 1-890771-47-3

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!