Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 6      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next
paul belanger

DON'T FEED THE F***IN' COYOTES.  I have my family with me.  My kids are getting bigger now, but.... My Lord, what if something happened to a child at the springs!?  I would charge that persons who have fed coyotes and encouraged them to come around the springs be criminally complicent in any attack upon children at the springs.

Am I wrong, or is this coyote thing a recent development?  I don't ever, until the last few years, remember coyotes being this much of an issue.  In the BLM days, wouldn't a coyote have been shot if close to the springs?  Coyotes can be dangerous and should be discouraged from coming around the springs by whatever means necessary.

Keep your food locked up.  I have a solid cover over the bed of my truck.  The ice chests and food are in the bed, we keep the tailgate locked.

As for a vagrant stealing food from campers, this is where I believe the NPS should earn their pay, not devising means to remove palm trees & hot pools or make persons wear clothing.  They should get out there and round this low life up.
James Sel

If I get constipated: I'll steal a few steaks and figure out whom is the unregistered.
Salt Peter

With the comment about some tweeker out off Bat Rock Road why hasn't a posse and/or an armed Ranger gone out to deal with this jackhole? Sounds easy enough especially if he is known. Now here is where my fellow pilots come into play for support on this one. Any pilots flying into the Chicken Strip could be asked to do some aerial recon to locate the squatting tweeker. Get him/her OUT of Saline.

Laxatives is a good idea.

A friend at work told me about a breakroom thief they dealt with once. They carefully opened one of those snowball twinkie things. Scraped out the cream inside and put some chicken livers in then neatly put it back in the package. He never did tell me if someone ended up sick but did say the thievery did stop.
Tule

Wow wouldn't SPECTRE be great!  But lets go with an FO in a Bronco and maybe a no-glow on the ground.  If it gets really rough, we'll call in MRF and a Zippo rigged for off road.  Of course we'll have to play Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit in the Sky" and/or Ten Years After's "Goin' Home".  Oh I forgot, loud music is not permitted, but the rest is do-able right?
Salt Peter

The slingshot idea sounds perfect. Not too much and not too little. A ping anywhere with some shot would make either the yotes or asses think twice. If it happens enough it could re-condition the buggers.

Love the other ideas. Where is the watch list going to be posted? We will need two areas to patrol, lower and palm with intersecting radii. Will there be a NPS spectre up there ready for the call for fire?
trigger

Hahahahaha. Well the F18's are already there. What Tule is saying does make sense. Ill call the superintendent and run it by them. Hopefully I can get this idea in before unregistereds turkey bone complaint. Don't wanna overwhelm the park service
SilverBob

Careful, Tule!  You're causing flashbacks.
Tule

Poisons are too selective and besides, I think most Yotes could detect them. Exploding dye packs would be entertaining, but not effective (yotes don't see colors as we do). How about constructing a picket line of dead-falls with punji sticks around the springs? Or maybe even some M18s? ("FRONT TOWARD YOTE"). We could make up a watch roster and send out two person parimeter patrols with NVGs. If the yotes breach our parimeter, we can call down the fast movers for a burn. Or would this be a violation of park rules?
trigger

Of course I'm sure that violates some kind of rule. Discharge of projectile or something. Wonder if the slingshot falls into that category?
trigger

Police pepper ball gun??? Lol. Probably less harmful for the coyote and more fun for us. Just throwing out ideas here.
Major Tom

Let me chime in. I work around bears a lot, and I do NOT recommend bear spray. It is nasty stuff, and if you are lucky enough to be upwind of it, someone else is likely to be downwind.  To be effective, bear spray needs to be discharged within no more than twenty feet of the bear, and probably closer to be really effective. Rat poison is a stupid idea, as we all (but one) concede. If you leave meat available, some dog will as likely get it as a coyote. Similarly, shooting the animals should not be done by campers. Someone will get hurt by a ricochet not to mention is is against the law. Let the Park Service make the determination if extreme prejudice should be applied.

These animals are habituated, and they are food conditioned. As we have seen, too many people feed the animals thinking it is fun and cute. Bad idea. The best thing each of us can do is call others on bad behavior when we see them feeding coyotes or burros, and to keep our own camps tight and clean. Make a food box that cant be opened casually, or keep it in the truck or car.

Best idea proposed to me (Silver Bob?) is have a sling shot and convince these critters that being around your camp isnt where they want to be.

SilverBob

I think "Unregistered" has been given exactly enough rope with which to hang herself. 

Posting deadly threats on a public forum really isn't the brightest thing to do.  Rather, it's typical "Keyboard Commando" behaviour.  Hiding behind an anonymous username makes some folks think they can say anything they want.  I sincerely hope that the threat of poisoned meat was just so much hot air.
James Sel

Don't freed the wild life Duh! and don't feed this troll.
trigger

Ya no rat poison please. But what about one of those blue dye packs banks use when a robber takes the money. Open the cooler then BAM!!!!! If you see a guy in the tub next to you who looks like a smurf punch him!!! A blue coyote would be funny too
Hi Desert Warrior

Unregistered- What a stupid fool.  If a coyote is found dead from rat poison on Federal Property or God forbid a human being of Rat poison, you will be a person of interest by the Feds, Dept of Fish and Game, and the Inyo County Sheriff.  If a Human is found to have been rat poison and dead your posting on this form of what you are going to do, is first degree murder, regardless of the reason.  Don't be lazy and follow the NPS rules and you won"t have a thief problem.  Wake up, Kid.,
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution