Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 6      1   2   3   4   Next   »
gael

I recommend a Yeti cooler. These coolers are officially bear-proof and therefore also coyote and burro proof, not to mention hippy-proof if you chain it to your vehicle. They are virtually indestructible and work very well in the desert. But very expensive. Keep dry goods and garbage in your vehicle. Basic common sense here.

Coyotes are very intelligent ( wily even ) and will slink on to easier snatchins.
Hi Desert Warrior

And what is the sorry truth?
florida

In truth, I DID NOT throw the shoe. But it makes a better story than the sorry truth.
Hi Desert Warrior

LOL- Thank you Undead.  I should have known better as my wife is a English teacher. 
Spider

I hope that rattler manages to bite you in the process of being flung at the coyote [wink]

Unregistered NextGen 2.0
It's WEll said, Hi on Desert Warrior. Learn to spel plaese. I usually throw rattlers at coyotes.
Hi Desert Warrior

Will said
Spider

Yes, now the whole shoe story makes a bunch of more sense to me, too [idea]

I agree with HDW that hurting a wild animal is the worst of all ideas. An animal in pain is unpredictable, even more so than under regular circumstances. Not to mention the danger of infection, which then can have an avalanche of even worse results for the wild population, us visitors and our dogs... There are reasonably easy precautions to keep your camp and your food safe. Not doing so is simply laziness and disrespect to nature.
Hi Desert Warrior

So that's how you lost your shoe, LOL.  May it be a lesion that you shouldn't play with them. To the other campers, hurting a wild animal  by any means is not a good idea.  A wounded animal is a very dangerous one.  At the springs you are the invaders to their home.  Not welcome guest.  Live and let live and obey park rules, keeping coolers and food locked up and/or stored inside your vehicle.  Problem solved.
florida

Throw a shoe at them. They will pick it up and run away. Ask me how I know.
davantalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glidergeek
Let's see you can't shoot them no guns allowed, and you can't throw metal detectors at them no metal detectors allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Peter
Bring a sling shot. That will fend them off and give them something to think about. 

I think you'll find "No Rock Collecting" allowed. [wink]
Route 66

Hey, ravens are one of the smartest animals on earth, and they have to make a living too!
tomi

Let's not forget the Ravens.  Those little winged rats know how to get into coolers and fly away with your goodies.  I saw one lift off with a backpack and fly away.  The things I see critters do amazes me at times. 
Hi Desert Warrior

Amen, brother!
paul belanger

Route66, HDW,

I completely agree with your expressed sentiments.  The Saline Coyote has every right to exist and thrive in the valley.  We have taught our children to respect the Coyote, but fear him in a precautionary way, as he is in no way domesticated, and will attack if threatened.  They are especially dangerous if running in a pack.  (Although I have never personally seen this in Saline.) 

My problem is I believe the reason the wild Saline Coyotes are seen in greater numbers near the springs may be that people are "befriending" them and, far worse, feeding them.  This to me would be completely reckless behavior. 

I don't want to point the finger at any individual.  Maybe it's just that newer, possibly uninformed, Saline visitors have not been storing their food properly, which invites the Coyote into one's camp and into the area in general.  Let's all do our due diligence while camping in wilderness areas.  Keep your food locked up and don't feed the Coyotes.

Then there are the Burros......
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution