James Sel

^ eyes [rolleyes] rolling
peneumbra

"Chains Required
Whips Optional"
XPBC

My eyes are rolling too No Chains.

Thunder58

Outside the body the virus is much more vulnerable. In a human cell it is designed to turn onto a replication machine. And in the washer you also have soap which desolves the lipid shell thus making the RNA vulnerable to a lower temp of 60F.

Had not thought about the beer issue. Hmmmm. Will have to think about that.

As for taking out the pools let us remember that the park's first order of business is to repair Scotty's Castle thus draining any funds what so ever for the next several years. So no money to take out the pools. And as stated earlier the virus would be destroyed in the water so just cough or sneeze into the pool.😉

James Sel

^ eyes roll away
dautremont

The park will likely reopen, long before the pools are allowed to refill.
This may present a rare opportunity to close, and remove, the pools if the prospect of disease spread becomes an unreasonable but politically correct issue.  
speakeasy

If I have to wear a mask in tubs, how am I supposed to drink my beer?
Harvard already embarrassed itself by graduating Obama (sorry I had to make it political [wink])

"60F to kill COVID-19." - our bodies run at much higher temps and the virus strives in our bodies.
Thunder58

Actually the lipid shell of the virus does break down with soap and water. So it does help remove it from your hands and body. Airborne droplets are so fine that your movement through them actually pushes them away. Purhaps wearing masks in the tubs will become a thing. 😉
Either way, until the NPS reopens them we are stuck.
And as for Harvard, anyone with a 40 billion dollar endowment that takes stimulus money meant for small businesses is not to be trusted 😉
dautremont

Sorry Bob, and Dr. Robb, but Harvard University disagrees - reference the link for the latest updates...

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-basics

Showering before entering the pool is of little benefit for airborne and surface borne viral transmission.  Exposure is commonly through inhalation, or touching your eyes or nose after contacting a contaminated surface.  

Showering before going in the pool is a good hygiene idea for all involved.

Salt Peter

No seeums don't like the heat either.

Personally I'm not a 100F outside temp hot spring soaker...for those that enjoy the high temps...let em roll the dice.
Thunder58

The report dated 03/23/2020 states washing your clothes in 60F to kill COVID-19. So the hot tubs would be fine. Since you are supposed to wash off before entering the tub, the soap would destroy the lipid outer shell of the virus and allow the water temp to destroy the RNA. Even without soap, the alkalinity of the water would destroy it. The point is the hot tubs are in no way a vector for the virus in fact they would be the opposite. That said, should an infected person in the tub sitting next to you cough or sneeze in your face, then there could be transmission. So it is more the proximity to others in the tub than the water.
bobhuckaby

dautremont:  you are misinformed
I have a report from James Robb MD FCAP who has been researching and lecturing on coronavirus since the 70's, who says it can live on a metal surface at least 12 hours, 6-12 hours on fabric, 5-10 minutes on your hands, and is killed by an outside temperature 27C/77F "it hates the sun"

dautremont

The typical Coronavirus can live hours or even days, depending on the surface and environment.  It is unknown how heat, cold, or sunlight affect how long it lives on surfaces...
mlmorrison

The bugs can live in us at 98.6...they just cannot live outside us at high temp and sunlight.
dautremont

The bugs live in us - and we are at least 98.6...
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution