Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
trigger

Somebody's gotta sell a battery powered heated beanie! If not its my idea, I said it first [smile]
SilverBob

If you look closely at the concrete apron around the Wizard Pool, you'll see 6 or 8 PVC pipes set in the concrete between the rocks.  Those were installed originally for that purpose.  Someone made a custom sail-cloth canopy with poles that fit in the PVC pipes.  It was a fine idea until the wind came up one afternoon.  The poles bent, the canvas tore and that's the last time we saw it.
holly609

Has anyone ever set up an awning or tent over a tub during the coldest part of the year? I would think that it could be pretty cozy...
florida

I'll make soup and leave it in an iron cauldron by the wizard.
Tito

I've been  in a snowstorm in feb standing in Wizard and not getting out!!!
trigger

Thanks for responding Luckypabst. I know what you mean about the cold nights and the tubs. Typically I'm there in December and have experienced some of those cold nights. Capt. Morgan has always been there to get me through it though. At least I won't have to do a Big Pine run for ice!
luckypabst

Trigger,
Crowds are generally low but my reference point is Veteran's and President's weekend for the most part. It can get damn cold, to the point that getting out of the tub in the middle of the night can be painful. Tequila helps, however.
Moot point maybe? Call in sick.

Chris

trigger

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the time off from work so I won't be there until the weekend following New Years. Sad face while typing
florida

Ok. Hot soup on the menu. Hot biscuits too. I've been there the first half of December and yes, it was cold. But it made the tubs feel so much better....
So are we doing a formal pot luck with tables end to end?
trigger

Heroic Bill thanks for the response. Snowing while in the tubs would be a great experience. Definitely better then sandstorm while in the tub!
heroicbill

I was there over New Years a couple years back.
There were relatively few people at the upper/middle springs, I seem to remember that a few of the camps had come in for Christmas and stayed through new years.
Great experience that trip: I remember sitting in Volcano pool and having big fat snow flakes dumping down all around us.

One year I went for Christmas and we put a couple strings of lights in a bush near our camp with a couple presents.  =)

trigger

Hey luckypabst, since you've been there a few times over New Years what would you estimate the crowd numbers to be and the vehicle count at Palm Spring. Just a ball park figure. I'm wondering if most going up there for New Years will stay through the following weekend.
luckypabst

I intend on pulling in around the 30th. The last several New Year's have been mostly mellow and cold. I do recall, through the haze, some sort of large party directly across from us at the Palm Spring. Fun for those involved, maybe intrusive to those looking to rest?

Chris
florida

Might as well start this. After all, Walmart is displaying Christmas trees....
I myself intend to go to Saline a day or few days before Christmas. Via north pass. I intend to bring lots of food to attempt to prepare and a bunch of supplies for Palm Springs. Also a decor or two.
I have never been there for The Holidays so people will need to fill me in on the saline traditions.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution