Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
RealEd

Thanks Mylo and sorry to have drawn you off topic!

Thanks James Sel for the info on Christmas Canyon. Maybe I will check it out over Christmas!
Big Jeff

Mylo

Good to see you trying to get back on topic here, at least you used the Word Christmas in your last two posts, but actually you were in violation of the Terms Of Use for this forum by going off topic.   I would suggest you start a new topic in the General topics area for your trailer discussion and in the Current Events Area for your Spring plans.   Also Merry Christmas James Sel and the rest of the good people of Saline Valley.
mylo

Here's a link RealEd:
http://www.rvweb.com/guides/manufacturers/fleetwood/models/2006_evolution-1127324965453http://www.rvguide.com/specs/coleman/expandable-trailer/2011/evolution-series/e1.html

We were looking for a used E1, but they sell quickly.  We ended up getting a used 2006 Jayco Baja 10y, which is a little bigger than a E1.  We would have liked to have taken it to to the springs over Christmas, but I need to make a few minor repairs and mods.  In the past we always tent camped, but with this Baja 10y we're gonna being really enjoying all the bells and whistles that came with it.
mylo

Merry Christmas James Sel

bobhuckaby

starting from the road being essentially clear of snow after thanksgiving, I am tracking the north pass snowfall to anticipate conditions for getting in at Christmas.
I use nws.noaa.gov, start by asking for big pine, ca, using the map scroll over and down to waucoba mountain, and click on the north pass area, it said 1 inch of snow yesterday and forecast sunny but cold the rest of the week, then scroll down and over to click on the springs area of saline valley, reporting high in the mid 30's and low of 20.
I have been using this for many years and found it reasonably accurate even for local detail.  The breeze and precip detail is only given for close in but therefore more accurate.
You can go direct to lat/lon but I forget what it is, also found that asking for lone pine frequently comes up with all of death valley instead of local.
I also scroll to the bottom of the page to select aviation weather to get my flying data, which includes frontal systems for 48 hours and winds aloft for 84 hours.
Bob from Tahoe
James Sel

They are called Hijack Falls in Christmas Canyon [1002041_585204321546083_2106604290_n]
RealEd

Hey mylo...can you share a link to a website that shows the Evolution1 ??  I have been looking at the Tentrax.com and sierra4x4trailer.com off road trailers.  I have a old (1962) Toyota Land Cruiser that I just recently took out to Saline.  I need more room to take firewood and such!  I am anxious to go back.

I understand there are some water falls along the western edge of Saline somewhere.  I would love to find and explore them.  Anyone know where they are located?
James Sel

hey where did the Christmas thread go Mylo?
mylo

Well, its a slow Saturday night.............. My wife and I can't wait to head back to the springs when it warms up a bit, maybe late Feb/early March?  We traveled there in early Nov. in our Highlander (our first time) and we were just amazed at how neat of a place the springs are.  We were so impressed with exploring the Saline Valley area that we just recently acquired a high clearance off road tent trailer (met a fellow there that had a similar Evolution 1) that will go just about anywhere.  We recently retired and plan on getting to know Saline/Panamint Valley and the whole Death Valley area real good.  This Saline Valley Preservation Forum is great, lots of good info!.............Later.   
XPBC

According to NOAA;  Low tonight 19 and high tomorrow 37 at the Springs.  Just stand close for a steam bath!
SilverBob

I recall many New Years trips when the temperature never even approached 50!  Keep an eye on the forecast and be prepared.
Sam D.

Curious what the temp at the springs when it's 34 in Big Pine? What was the weather like last year in December? Does it get into 60's?
Hi Desert Warrior

FYI- Anybody heading to the springs this month of Dec. beware!  Dec. 4th, 2013, temp in Big Pine was 34 degrees day time and 10 degrees at night.  Bring the long johns and plenty of blankets if you plan to spend the night.
trigger

Sounds good to me!
bobhuckaby

the most recent weekend after new years I was there with only a few other people around, but it was remarkable for me as I cooked dinner for a guy from Missoula, MT whose lady friend came up from Sacramento, and a couple from Portland, OR -- I tell this to people to illustrate the wonderful eclectic nature of this beautiful place to be for people from all over, and show the picture of the table and campstove inside my tent to make coffee when it is freezing outside the next morning.
I hope to do it again this year, you are all invited to dinner (jambalaya with sausage).
Bob from Tahoe
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution