Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Glidergeek

Wind sock is up, the tie down chains that we use were anchored in cement buried in the ground could not be found [confused] just piles of rocks where they might have been.
Billygoat Tom

Very well stated Big Jeff...
All the best, and clear skies
Tom and Sue
Glidergeek

I will be flying into the Chicken Strip Sunday morning has the windsock issue been taken care of?
r.barry@sbcglobal.net
Sam D.

The original wind sock was found. It's located in the double pooper's storage. It needs a new cable or rope like 1/4" climbing rope to be reattached to poll + some effort to do so.
pugsly

To echo what Big Jeff said, the Chicken Strip is a great asset.  If someone needs medical evac / medical help it is the quickest and easiest way.  Also, if SAR needs to be launched in the valley they use the strip for their plane.
Big Jeff

I have brought the Windsock issue over here from the Camp Needs area, but first let me Rant a little[comp].   In searching historic posts for the frame size of the sock(which Sam D had posted thanks) I found some negative comments in regards to the existence of the Chicken strip.   First I believe all helpful and responsible people should be welcome at the Springs ( NO Whiners ).   Second, the pilots are our allies when it comes to keeping the status quo at the springs in regards to historical use.   And Third it might be someone flying into the Chicken Strip to haul your ass out from there should you become seriously ill, severely injured, bit by snake or other personal emergency( beerrun [tongue] [wink].   OK back to the Windsock, Rick at the Kern Valley Airport, who put up the last one is trying to find one there.  I will contact him next  week to check on progress.   The size needed is 20 x 96 and rope or hardware to attach it to the existing frame.   I will post  further info updates here and if you go to the strip, post conditions as others have (Thanks).   In closing I am not a pilot but I see what a great asset the Chicken Strip is.
SilverBob

Yes.  Everything is there except the sock, itself.
Sam D.

Silver Bob, is the windsock's pole and frame still there?
P. Haze

Silver Bob, Michelle and Crew....

Thank you for all of your time, efforts and the reports.   It appears that travel into the valley will be quite challenging for some time to come.   I am so grateful for the condition of the Chicken Strip.....it happen to be the "left alone spot this year".
Looking forward to crossing paths and sharing time with friends this fall.....

Pilot Dave
SilverBob

I drove the Chicken Strip on Friday the 13th. Apparently the strip is the only piece of real estate in Saline Valley that survived the summer unscathed. The strip is in fine shape with no washouts, ruts, rocks or anything else. All it needs now is a wind sock, as there is nothing there now.

Attached Images
jpeg chickenstrip.jpg (120.15 KB, 70 views)
jpeg chickenstrip_s.jpg (166.90 KB, 73 views)

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!