Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
bobhuckaby

attached is a picture I took in January
the red airplane is right about over that set of wing ties, I don't think I saw a tail tie
the white airplane is just uphill from the main set of ties, because there was room for an airplane to pass between the marker post and the tie downs, the bush off his right wing tip was near the left wing tiedown, the tiedowns were oriented about 60-75 degrees to the strip pointing downhill
that's the best of my recollection after many gallons of adult beverages in the interim
Bob from Tahoe

Attached Images
jpeg rsz_p1010086.jpg (313.53 KB, 56 views)

Salt Peter

Great weekend in Saline. Three different Cessna 170/140's used the strip over the weekend. Only one camped.
winks

Now that's what I'm talkin' about. I confess to being in a wee bit of awe.
Big Jeff

This is how real (insane) pilots land.   The Bat road would be a piece of cake.        http://msnvideo.msn.com/?channelindex=2&from=en-us_msnhp#/video/eb3fe247-10ee-4054-99f6-549e32303ee6

Big Jeff

An interesting observation from the new Google Earth pictures shows that on or before 8/9/13 the Chicken Strip had some storm damage, but in Silver Bob's picture the damage appears to have been fixed
(Lee?)

For Winks: the Old strip is just south of the lower Springs

For Bob Huckaby:  At the bottom of these Reply windows there is an Attach Files button which should allow you to insert your JPEG images.
winks

After reading (skimming a bit) all I could find on Chicken Strip, I have not found the source of the name.
I have a mental image of it being the strip that the chicken pilots land on. "Real Pilots" shift to 4 low and land somewhere else that is rougher? [wink]
Big Jeff

Glider

Yes that's what I was suggesting that they got covered.   I have been looking for pictures of the tie down area that may show the locations that they were in and if it looked like material might have been deposited in that area No Luck.   Also the use of metal detectors is not allowed in the Park so we might have to use a divining rod or sneak a detector in under a blanket in the back seat.
Glidergeek

Yes it's possible, we dug around and didn't find the chains or cement. It looks like the strip was sparred from major erosion. If anything material would have been added on top and obscured them, that's not likely if anything material would have been washed away. A metal detector would help.
Big Jeff

GliderGeek

Is there any possibility that the tie downs got covered by sand and rock in one of the flash floods. Has anyone asked Lee. The windsock story was covered earlier in this thread, the 18" was one that Rick At Raven Aviation had laying around.
Big Jeff

And Once Again

To the UN ONE You need to take your spew to the special place that was created just for you (see link below)

Un Forgiven's concerns

This is where you can Rant all you want, Don't Pollute the rest of this forum. It only gives us more evidence for a 72 Hour Hold.
Glidergeek

I'm thinking the black nylon tie straps used a couple years ago finally saw enough UV and broke in combination with the wind and sun. I myself don't think its constructive to use this forum to accuse somebody without direct knowledge of wrong doing of anything.
Also the sock is 18" and the hoop it's secured to is 20"
Unregistered666
Lizard Lee should not be in the position to remove anything unless he obtains public approval. He can post on this forum. His good standing with NPS does not give him any rights to vandalize the camp to his liking. Last year he closed the airstrip for the summer. This year he removed the sock and tie downs. WTF????
Hi Desert Warrior

Undead, I mean unregistered666.   Get over it kid.  Lee is hear to stay as long as he wants.  His assets far exceed his faults. 
I have been coming to the springs for over five years and everyone I talked to has no problem with Lee.  The NPS loves him by giving him a radio of which he checks in with them each morning.  They give him a vehicle to drive and solar panels for electric power.  If you think your complaints are going to bump him out as host, your wrong, wake up from La La land and stop snorting.   
Unregistered666
I meant *steal*
Unregistered666
It looks like you need to fly in some cement and chains and make new tie downs.
Who would still those tie downs? Who hates the strip the most?
I think it's the person illegally living at the springs
full time despite NPS' imposed 30 days limit.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!