Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment  
stan

Thanks folks…..  I haven't been here in a while. I "discovered" the pirep section after I posted this…..  Big dummy me…. ha ha...
flying chipmunk

See my 3/16/13 post at http://forum.salinepreservation.org/post/chicken-strip-5537739?&trail=15 regarding my experience in a Cessna 177 (Cardinal) RG.  A 180 HP 172 should work just fine as long as you give due consideration to weight and balance, density altitude, and short/soft field techniques.
Salt Peter

Also check on Shortfield.com and backcountrypilot.com
Sam D.

You might want to relocate your post into the dedicated PIREP section of the forum. I know lots of pilots monitor it regularly.
http://forum.salinepreservation.org/?forum=181606

stan

Question for you SV pilots out there.  I have been wanting to land at the chicken strip for some time.  Have a C172 with a 180HP engine.  I have experience with soft and unpaved strips.  Anyone have any suggestions or techniques that may be helpful for a first time landing / takeoff from the chicken strip??  Thanks, stan
JohnD

The Chicken Strip is usable but is not for pilots accustomed only to paved landing strips. It has gravel and rocks on the surface, and is occasionally maintained by volunteers. It is up to the pilot to do a fly-over check before landing. Landing is uphill toward a mountain, and should be attempted only by pilots with experience landing on short, rough strips. The Chicken  Strip is conditionally allowed by the National Park Service who indicated that an analysis will be made of the Chicken Strip airstrip (sometime) to determine whether to retain it under 36CFR or whether it should be closed due to safety and/or resource impact concerns

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution