Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
bobhuckaby

only saw 2 airplanes thanksgiving weekend, talked to one pilot and no issues in a taildragger
too busy cooking, sleeping and soaking to walk or drive the strip
bob from tahoe
minierf

I talked to the guy poolside and gave him an ear full about landing where he did and how lucky he was that Lee was not around... he said he'd been flying all his life; he was an older fellow, in his late 60's or 70's even and he built the plane himself. He never circled around or scoped the area before landing, just saw the road and figured he could land there easily. I didn't see him land, but I was just flabbergasted when I saw the thing parked there... frankly he probably would have had a hard time walking all the way from the chicken strip to the spring [tongue] it may have been laziness [rolleyes]
I also have a video of him taking off, which I'll try to upload to YouTube if anyone is interested...
I can't imagine the mess it would have been if he had crashed there like the plane I saw tumble a month or two earlier on the chicken strip....

DVExile

The road is clearly a road.  The Chicken Strip is actually quite obvious from the air because it is marked with white wash rocks on a dark background and includes a windsock in a whitewash circle.  If you can't plan to know about where it is, can't identify one of the most clearly marked backcountry strips around and misidentify a road as a landing strip then you have zero business being in an airplane.

It also doesn't matter what it looks like at 2000' AGL since only a flaming moron is going to land on a remote strip not examined with a low altitude flyby first.  Not only that Google Earth removes features as you go higher so the simulated view above doesn't remotely match what it looks like from the air.

For reference here are two YouTube videos of landings at the Chicken Strip.  Both are low resolution wide angle cameras - meaning way, way, way worse of a view then naked eye from the cockpit.  In both the Chicken Strip is quite obvious.

This guy was either inept or as already theorized a lying lazy ass unwilling to walk and not interested in anyone else's safety.  Nail him to the wall I say to better preserve the Chicken Strip for those responsible enough to use it.
Sam D.

Thanks, minierf. So the landing took place on May 4th? I thought it was during summer when there was nobody at the springs. Early May is still well visited.

I just plugged the tail number (N99EP) into the FAA website and got this owner record that corresponds with the plaque in pic 4:

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=99EP

minierf

more pics from may 4th... btw Lee was away that day!

Attached Images
jpeg 6AAB9D9E-0EA5-4279-946C-D660CAAF4D8D.jpeg (716.20 KB, 29 views)
jpeg 9201AB98-009B-4B63-88A3-A8722EA00FB0.jpeg (847.39 KB, 28 views)
jpeg CA22C3D3-84D4-4B71-8F04-041D9FB24538.jpeg (881.08 KB, 29 views)
jpeg AB053D4C-8B12-4553-9D37-6F081C6B581A.jpeg (583.49 KB, 34 views)
jpeg A32D8111-0F53-4065-867E-3008BB90A6D5.jpeg (615.64 KB, 35 views)

Salt Peter

Couldn't see the strip? Pure bullshit. Preflight planning would ensure you know where the strip is. If he didn't do preflight planning he lacks the primary knowledge to aviate. I know a pilot wouldn't be able to do such a great short field landing without proper knowledge about how to do planning. I'm surprised he didn't use the classic "engine problem" comment about having to put it down there.

More likely has the mindset that since I can I will and he's too lazy to hike from the Chicken Strip.

I personally wouldn't report him but I do want to know the N-number for future reference. I also want the N-number for the taildragger that landed at the racetrack last year. Those pics were taken down so quickly since the pilot knew someone recognized where he was at and that it was illegal to land there. I've got the pics but cannot make out the number.
Sam D.

It's hard to see from 2,000 ft but easy to see that the road is not a landing strip when he was landing. It's ignorance and dumnassery IMO. Just because a pilot does not know where to go is not an excuse to land where he pleases.
Can anyone see the plane's tail number?
JayOtheMountains

If I'm doing my homework and looking at the LandSat data, this is what I'm given. I can see how someone could miss the chicken strip. It's in this screen grab. For folks who've been there before, it's not hard to pick out. Eye elevation on this pic is 2,100 feet, facing N/NW on approach. Tail Dragger is clearly visible, as it's now a scar on the Tourmaline. I can see why the road was mistaken as a landing strip.

Screenshot_6.jpg 

trigger

Is it really that hard to see Chicken Strip from the air??? I certainly would not wanna be soaking while somebody decides to land their plane or take off next to the tubs and folks camping. Imagine an accident occurring. We all know It sometimes happens. Him not seeing the strip is bullshit in my opinion. Somehow all the other pilots have managed to find it but Stevie Wonder Pilot couldn't???
XPBC

I have that same model. RC.
Glidergeek

Because that's what people do?
Sam D.

Ben Sutton, the facebook original poster, wrote, "...when he came in he did not know were the chicken strip was. he saw the road and baseball field. from the air the road looked allot like a remote landing strip. there were no cars or people. he was shown the chicken strip after he landed. he landed and took off in about 200 feet. i dont know why so many people are having issues with the landing."
XPBC

Oops; Ok maybe he taxied over to Lower Springs. Still a irresponsible pilot.
XPBC

I guarantee he did not taxi from Chicken Strip to Palm Spring.
Sam D.

It was few months ago. I saw that post on facebook. The plane is a Husky or Carbon Cub. 50 yards is all it takes.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!