Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Salt Peter

Otmar if you ever want someone to cover part of the fuel, not much since I'm in SoCal and doubt you would fly to LGB for a pick up, I could meet you in Owens somewhere and split help. I've been wanting to experience flying into Saline but am having a hard time coordinating with my instructor.
Salt Peter

A Piper flew in today. Didn't get an N number. I think I've seen it there before. Maybe the owner of PSR?
Otmar

Yup, that's me taking pictures and my plane. Here's another taken at the same time. 

The trip was great, next time I should put blades on the wings to combine takeoff and bush trimming (I did a sloppy takeoff). 

Attached Images
jpeg IMG_0326.jpg (254.20 KB, 29 views)

johnh

This must be your plane (and quite possibly you)... picture taken as we arrived at the Springs on Friday (3/29), just after 1pm. (Let me know if you'd like me to remove it). Apologies for the quality... this is a crop of a picture taken with maximum zoom (around 480 mm equivalent) and the hot air has introduced a lot of distortion.
Otmar

Arrived safe, and a high wing came in this afternoon. It looks like the strip has been busy.
Pics have to wait since it seems the iPad and his site don't agree on how to post them.
Chicken strip is the best shape I've seen, very smooth with a nice new looking windsock.
Weather has been perfect today, 11pm and I'm only wearing a towel and shoes. :-)
Salt Peter

Flying in the Tiger? Those are way cool. Post some pics of it at Saline.
Otmar

Many Thanks!
I'm planning to fly in tomorrow. 

-Otmar
Grumman Tiger, CVO
TTpilot

I was just there last week. The Chicken Strip was most definitely not closed.  

Here is a photo I took:

Attached Images
jpeg IMG_8489.jpg (901.18 KB, 27 views)

SilverBob

Thanks for the update.  I'm thinking the guy saw the old Taildragger Strip, which has been closed for about 15 years.
XPBC

Airplanes and even a helicopter were landing and taking off while I was there between 3-13 and 3-18-2013.
Salt Peter

I will report back about this by either next week or two weeks after. Two possible trips coming up.
SilverBob

That's what I was hoping.  I just wanted some first-hand and current info.
speakeasy

I've seen tires at the other landing strip that's been closed for years. Could it be that the pilot flew over a wrong strip?
SilverBob

There's a report posted today, March 19th, on Death Valley Talk that someone flew to the Springs and found the strip closed with X's on the runway and big tires on the landing zone.  Anybody know anything about this?
Sam D.

Good idea to notify the dispatcher and keep the transponder on. I've seen and heard that military jets come as close as 50 yards above the landing plane.
Once a plane commits to landing on the chicken strip, there isn't much room to abort. The exhaust can easily knock a small plane
down 25-50 feet. I've talked to the pilot who experienced that.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!