Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4
James Sel

P3Taco what VP squadron were you in while at NAS Moffet?
P3Tacco

That would be great. I was on active duty at Moffett Field (primarily) and my very last flight was out to the Grand Canyon and back, and well, on the way back we detoured and did one 500' pass over the springs.  Not every day that people see a P-3 subhunter fly by!  I would wager that was the only time. I stayed in the reserves until 2009. Kept flying almost the whole time.  Hey, C-130s, same engines! (except yours were upside down (by my point of view) [smile]
corypfau

P3Tacco,  Thanks for the information.   We were planning on staying until Sunday.  Would have been great to meet you guys.   I'll try to come early in the morning next time.  Thanks for the accolades.  Where were  you stationed?   I was a backseater too (loadmaster) in the Airforce at Pope AFB a looong time ago,  C-130s.  
Thanks again and maybe we will run into you some time out there...

CP 
P3Tacco

Hey CP, I just wanted to say that I was impressed and pleased that you made the decision not to attempt an actual landing.  We saw you do a few approaches and I just think it's commendable that you know a bad situation when you see it. I commented the same to my girlfriend as we were watching.  I was a Navy backseater for about 4300 hours so I know a little about flying (but not a pilot). I believe that the morning is best and much more reliable than the afternoon or early evening. PS, you would have been stuck there for awhile. Saturday was VERY windy, probably 20-30 crosswinds.  It eased some overnight but still pretty strong until about 11 A.M. on Sunday.
corypfau

Hi, SPA'rs.   I flew out to the Saline valley Friday the 24th.  I got there about 1700 and the cross wind was blowing about 15 to 20 knots.  Didn't want to chance it but the field looked pretty good.  Who ever put the streamers up on the wind sock pole they were helpful.  I was using full rudder authority and couldn't get it straight down the runway so we went home to try it another day.   I was wondering if anyone knows if that is normal and when the best time to go as far as the wind goes.  I imagine early would be good and later in the evening.    It was blowing pretty good across the sierras too so I figured it may be bad at the springs.     
Anyone planning on flying there in May? 

CP
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!