Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
Hi Desert Warrior

You might be right.  I got the info from Mcmann's book on Saline Valley.  He has the site listed in the book.  The information I received about the collision was from another source  which said a military aircraft collided with a twin engine Cessna.  I haven't checked the site, yet.  I went up there one day last year to find it and take some pictures but got a flat on the way near Grapevine pass and turned back.  I only had one spare.  It's on my bucket list to do next year.  Terawander where did you locate the site?
Terawanderer

Are you sure it was an A-6 Intruder ??  The ID plate on the landing gear states that it is an A-7.  I never saw any parts of a Cessna....are they up there too??
Hi Desert Warrior

Thank You-  About three months before the F-117 crash near Bakersfield, I was Camping in the Santa Monica Mountains.  One afternoon I heard a strange sound in the sky, looking up I saw an unusual aircraft making a final to Point Magu NAS.  It was non spectacular gray with flat rounded wings like the old Sky Ray and had twin exhausts.  Flying wing was a Tom Cat.  Normally a F-14 approach is with wings extended, but this one had wings back in flying mode.  It was the same color as the unusual one flying lead..  I think the unusual craft was the Navy version of a stealth on a test flight and the F-14 was trying to blend in with it to not make it so conspectuses.  I was surprised to find about nine months later,  Testors came out with a model of this top secret aircraft.  The only difference in the model was, the model had baffles over the exhaust ports and the tips of the wing were pointing up.  Other than that it was the plane that I saw landing at Point Magu.  Did you know about the Intruder that had crash near the grapevine pass off the south road?  It collided with a twin engine Cessna sometime in the sixties.  The wreckage is still there about 100 yards off the road up the hill.  Sorry to say the crew didn't survive.
P3Tacco

I love it! Great to hear those stories. Once way back when, we arrived at about 10 PM, more than a little tipsy and proceeded to start to set up camp.  One of the first things my friend did was to start a campfire and was adding a bit of gas from a 5 gallon can (OK, we were relatively young and stupid and hardly anyone went back then).  At that exact moment two jets went screaming by with no lights, just the glo stick looking things (anti collision strips, I think I was told?). We guessed that they were F-117s (before they became open knowledge) but who knows? In any case my friend dropped the can of gas which immediately caught on fire.  Had to put it out with dirt. Ah well, no one got hurt! Thanks for your service, you were at it for quite awhile!
Hi Desert Warrior

I love the fly overs.  One day I got together a group of people in the Wizard pool to line up at the edge when a low flying jet was coming.  We mooned him as he flew by.  I have seen F-16, F-18, F-15, F-22, C-130's unmarked in cammo paint, A-7 I thought was long ago retired, B-1 Bomber, and Osprees in formation.  One night about 10 PM a Black Hawk painted all black with no running lights on, hovered over the volcano pool.  Someone shined a spot light on the chopper that showed no markings.  The pilot returned the same with a very, very, bright light on the vehicle, then flew off toward the lower springs.  I have a cam recording of a fly over where the jet circled both springs and went into a victory roll  and punched the after burners and did a vertical climb into the clouds.  Each time they fly by, I am with them in spirit.  In Nam and Desert Storm, I flew in C-7s, C-141s and Very noisy C-130's.  Also in UH-1's but not Black Hawks, of which I would have liked to.  To me the, the fly by's are a very much part of the enjoyment of being at the springs.  
bobhuckaby

Seems like C-17 can land most anywhere, I saw them land at Tahoe and make midfield turnoff easily, so we need to get one to land on the chicken strip, give Kegger Mike a break and bring some extra refreshments ==> that would be some picture.
Bob from Tahoe
paul belanger

Many years ago I saw a B-52 flying over the lower springs in Saline Valley. Very low. Very slow. The thing looks HUGE. I'll never forget it.
tbone ribeye

Love the Jets.  Last time we were at the springs (Sept '14) a B-52 came lumbering over Steele Pass, passed over at no more than 500ft, and exited the valley out the South end.  Highlight of the trip. 
SoCalSteve

When I was there on President's Day there was dang near a mini air show Friday. As a result of one of the more badass flyovers--- Funiest thing I've seen in a while...  There was a pretty low fighter fly over down canyon and over lower springs, right over the single head, and this dude was loud and low.  So I'm trippin on the jet flyin away on afterburner and this guy comes bursting out the head with his pants around his knees....   
P3Tacco

The short answer - hell yes! In the past few years (I took several years off from going) I didn't see that many.  Sometimes just one. But a couple weeks ago, there were loads (On a Friday, I think the day you tried to land?). Usually it's just F/A-18s, but that day started with F-16s, then F/A-18s, then a solo F-15 with the lowest, fastest pass I had ever experienced in 40 years. Probably 100-150 feet and about 450 knots. Had a similar one by an A-7 decades ago when driving, but this was amazing. Then more F/A-18s later. I know some people don't like the flybys, but I definitely do. My girlfriend did also, and everyone else that I talked with.
corypfau

P3T,   You are right about the 130 engines being the other way.  We came out to Red flag back then but I don't think we buzzed the hot springs.  That would have been cool.   Do you know if the fighters still fly near the springs?   If the C-130 did it it would definitely  scare some people.  We always said it was 30,000 rivets flying in loose formation.  
James Sel

[thumb]
P3Tacco

Ah, that's cool!  We were there at the same time. My brother was a pilot in VP-91 at that time, I believe. I spent about 14 years at NAS Pt Mugu with VP-65. I almost went TAR. Good to talk to you James!  I'm Ronn

James Sel

I was a TAR in VP-91, 88-91, MS2
P3Tacco

VP-48. I take it that you were at Moffett?  Left there in 1990, went to train navigators at Mather AFB for a short while before I left active duty and went reserves.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!