Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
Salt Peter

Looked nice bright and orange when I was there just before Thanksgiving.
DBCooper

The windsock has been replaced.
Sam D.

Somebody emailed me to see if the windsock was replaced. Can anybody shed some light, please?
SilverBob

The plane was a Carbon Cub.  http://www.cubcrafters.com/carboncubss
Sam D.

The windsock is gone.
Over the weekend we saw a plane with the shortest take off/ landing I've ever seen. Curious what kind of plane it was. The pilots mentioned the name
but I forgot. These were 2 nice gents who flew to town to get ice cream.
Hi Desert Warrior

Thanks for the info.  Too bad the do gooders got to it before I did to take pictures.  At least some large objects remain.  Best I check it out soon or they might be removed also.  The SA-16 can be reach by parking near the Town Pass and hiking up hill to the site.  Yes, its a good one to visit.  I wanted to start a threat called Propwash chatter, but searched the forms to start one and couldn't find out how to set one up.  I have a lot of questions related to the chicken strip and the other disused strip history and wanted to take the conversation there.  No such luck.
Terawanderer

The A-7 in South Pass has recently been cleaned up by a ranger named Charlie and his self appointed  "do gooders" .   All that remains now are the two heavy pieces that they couldn't carry off.   One is a folding wing section.  
Salt Peter

Just read your comment about the helo coming over by the Volcano pool in the evening. I had a similar situation with a Bell 222 which came from Steel Pass with no lights. None. No nav lights. It turned on a very bright landing light right before the pools at Palm Spring and then turned it off. I grabbed a fairly bright flash light and shined it towards the helo as it orbited the area. On what would be its final pass from east to west the landing light turned on and off repeatedly. It headed towards the Inyos with no lights. I watched in the direction of the sound and finally saw a light shine on the Inyos west of the springs. The light/helo ascended the range about halfway up and turned south and then the landing light turned off. This Bell 222 had a green/white color scheme.

My guess is that this was some uber rich person enjoying his/her toys or some spec ops exercise. There aren't any military units using the 222's AFAIK. If this was some secret squirrel flight they did some right eye closing exercise when my light went on them. Gotta save the vision even while under night vision, maybe even more so. Maybe the story telling here can be moved to an aviation chat section in the PIREP thread.
Hi Desert Warrior

Another thought, It could have been out of El Toro Mcas or Los Alamitos NAS.  Las Al had A-4s and S2Js.  I guess it could have been from anywhere.  I have a very good book on Plane crashes in California from the very first one in 1904 to 2010 and this one is not listed.  The B-24 and the SA-16 are.  I gotta check it out, maybe in September when I plan to return to the springs.  Hate the south route but a guy has to do what he's gotta do.
Salt Peter

Oh I know the small canyon where pieces of the wreckage show up at. I've seen pieces from time to time and then a storm comes and either covers them up or washes them away or brings new stuff to the surface. A crash did occur there for sure I just don't trust the specific information Mann communicates. Don't try to buy that exact issue of Mann's book right now on Amazon. It is quite expensive. Ebay has it for almost cover price. I should try to sell mine on Amazon.
Hi Desert Warrior

I would agree, but he dose show pictures of the wreckage.  Not knowing the date of the crash, the aircraft could have been from anywhere en route to China Lake.  One place that comes to mind is Fallon NAS before it became a Top Gun training base.  At the time Mira Mar was a NAS Top Gun.  Point Magu NAS is another one near Oxnard and possibly Alameda NAS before it was deactivated.  Next spring I plan to try and visit the site and see what it looks like. 
Salt Peter

While I can't cite the specific information right now I'm not keen on Mr. Mann's books. At least the Saline Valley one. I have it and will have to dig it out. There are other errors in it besides the A-6/A-7 discrepancy. Once an author show's me he/she has erroneous data it is hard to take anything they say seriously.
SilverBob

No worries!  That was a "tongue in cheek" comment, hence the [rofl].

I have Bill Mann's book, and interestingly enough, that's the only mention I've ever found of an A-6 crash in the valley.  I can't find any other record of it.  I've searched Navy records from China Lake, Lemoore, and Miramar, as well as Marine Air Bases at Pendleton and Yuma.  I'm still checking records from a couple other Navy bases, but so far, I'm coming up dry.  I don't know where else it could have come from.  It could well be that Bill was mistaken and that site is the A-7 crash, but I'm not sure yet.

One thing I do remember about old "Shortfuse" is that he wasn't one to let the facts get in the way of a good story!
Hi Desert Warrior

Your right, SilverBob-  All thought its aviation and valley related, its not chicken strip related.  Sometimes I get carried away with subjects.  So, I will have my last say and move on.  I was right, the one at Grapevine is a A-6.  You can find the information in Bill Mann's book, volume 4  Guide to remote and mysterious Saline Valley, on page 9.  He says the plane skipped over one ridge and head on into another, killing the crew.  Pictures provided.
SilverBob

HDW, the August, 1967 mid air collision of an A-7A and a Cessna 210 occurred over Owens Peak, northeast of Inyokern.  Neither of those planes ended up in Saline.  An A-7E did crash at the south end of the valley, but that was in February of 1990.  The pilot was hospitalized and recovered.  That would probably be the site where Terawanderer found the ID plate.  The Navy did a thorough clean-up of that site, but over time, pieces tend to come to the surface.

I've also found records of a California Air Guard F-16 crashing in the valley in June of 1997, and a Marine AV-8B Harrier ejecting into high winds over the Inyos.  The Harrier ended up on the Owens Valley side.  Unfortunately, the wind brought the pilot's chute down into one of the canyons on the Saline side, where he died when his head struck a boulder when he landed.  The Air Guard pilot walked away with a dislocated elbow and some bruises.

Too bad none of this has anything to do with the conditions of the Chicken Strip!  [rofl]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!