Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 4      1   2   3   4   Next
Glidergeek

I'm not sure Bob you might check with Rick Latch he is the RAF California liaison. He and three other guys worked it last weekend. Do you know how to get a hold of him?
He's also the manager of Kernville airport.
bobhuckaby

is it smooth enough for an Arrow (retractable)?
Bob from Tahoe rsz_dsc_7059xr.jpg

Glidergeek

Chicken strip has been reopened.
Glidergeek

October 8th A group of volunteers from the RAF Will be out at the chicken strip repairing ruts and washouts from storms earlier in the year that closed The strip.
pugsly

Glad they are getting organized to get it sorted out - those back country strips need to be kept open.  Not only for pleasure use, but search and rescue, medevac, law enforcement, etc.
jackfreer

RAF forming a work party for the needed repairs.

http://theraf.org/latestnews
Timmy

Chicken Strip Closed until repaired

http://www.ktnv.com/news/saline-valleys-backcountry-airstrip-temporarily-closed-for-safety

gael

I missed the earlier post. With all the official interest, assumed that the event was more recent. sv_copter.jpg 
Salt Peter

[image] 
[image] 
[image]
Sam D.

I do not want to post pictures twice.
You can see the plane here:  http://forum.salinepreservation.org/post/show_single_post?pid=1292744308&postcount=12&forum=181606

The plane is definitely damaged and not in flyable condition.

gael

I was there July 6 - 8 and saw the plane, upside down but intact, figured the wind.

On the 7th, very heavy jet activity in valley, particularly above the springs, very low and wing down as if searching for something/someone. That was my feeling anyways.

A couple of hours later an emergency type helicopter landed at strip to check plane, and then to Lee's place, then off again towards park headquarters.

I wonder if they had to wait that long, and shacked up with Lee, for their ride out.
dezrtdave

Friday July 1 thunderstorm from NE generated a tornado-like squall with high wind, blowing sand, heavy rain and hail.  A Piper Cub landed about an hour earlier and was tied down. Pilots set up small tent before storm hit. The very high wind gusts tore the plane from its tie down, lifted it up and flipped it upside down. Pilots not harmed. Flash flood washed out portions of the road to Bat Pole but it is still passable. 

Runoff created several channels on the runway, which probably is unusable until repaired.

Salt Peter

Anyone know if there has ever been a visit by a gyrocopter? Seems like an interesting way to explore "places".
DBCooper

Helos should land in the next valley east and don't take my parking spot.
flingwing

I plan on flying out President's Day weekend.  Can anyone give me an update on conditions since these last few storms.  Anything new I need to be aware of? Thanks
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!