Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
slash2

Yeah, I always have chains, but I'm older now and prefer to only have to use them as a last resort, like put them on if I get stuck, so i can get myself unstuck, not like when i was young, when I would put them on just to get a little bit further. Cuz then when you get stuck, you're really stuck.
Sparkus Maximus

I'd carry tire chains just in case...

I can report that people were driving from Cerro Gordo to south pass this last weekend, however I can also tell you from firsthand experience that it was still not possible to reach the the top of the Inyos and the summit tram station via Swansea Grade as of last weekend. I made it  to about a half mile from the top of the ridge before encountering to much snow to continue. I had hopes of taking Swansea grade to the top and then over to Cerro Cordo but it's a bit too early for that this year. Swansea grade is fun though!

IMG_2952.JPG    IMG_2954.JPG

Kevin Mokracek

The road from Cerro Gordo to South Pass is passable in a high clearance vehicle.   About a mile or two down the east side of the pass from Cerro Gordo the road becomes washed out and you essentially follow the wash until it connects with White Mountain Talc Road.   These were the conditions I found last year so it could be better or worse right now.  Do expect snow in the shade on the east side which may make the road impassable until it melts.  The road to the tram station likely has some big snow drifts blocking the road at this time.
slash2

I could still see snow up there when I was in the valley a couple of weeks ago, however I've since read that Hunter Mtn was graded and is passable, so i was wondering what the condition might be like up there now. I was going to head into the valley this weekend, go to South Pass and take Hunter Mtn to Tea Kettle and up to the Race Track, drop down Lippincott and hit the springs. I haven't been to Cerro Gordo, so if the road is passable from there over White Mtn Talc to the Saline Valley road I might try that route, I just don't know whether that's possible this time of year. Any insights?

Hi Desert Warrior

I believe it is.  Some time ago some one posted a video of the trip to the tram from Cerro Cordo and back down the backside to Keeler or Swansea.  It was a great video to view.  I wish I could remember where it is posted or if it has been removed.  Check with Major Tom he might be able to tell you where to look.
Salt Peter

Yes there is a road from Cerro Gordo to the salt tram crossover station. Really fun. The Swansea side is pretty gnarly from what I've heard. I've not driven from that side.
slash2

Would that be the Swansea Grade Road? 
Hi Desert Warrior

There is a road from Cerro Gordo to the salt tram.  But the road is very narrow and very little turn outs for vehicles coming the other way.  The salt tram is an interesting place to visit.  From the salt tram there is a back road going down to Keeler but very steep in some places although wider.  Happy trails.  
slash2

Would anyone know if the road from Cerro Gordo to the South Pass road is passable or is it too early? I believe it is the White Mtn Talc road. I wanted to explore some other routes leading in to the springs besides just hitting hitting South Pass from the pavement.
I was also wondering if it is possible to drive from Cerro Gordo  to where the Salt Tram structures are at the top of the mountain. 

Thanks,
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!