Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
M&M

Rick,

Thank you for the link! I am sorry I did not reply earlier, my day job was in the way.

Xp,

Thank you for the current info.

M&M

XPBC

The road from Keeler as of last weekend is no prob for any car.  We went in from Swansea and got a nice view of the springs at the top Salt Tram.

Attached Images
jpeg Vituscan_Missionaries_8-2011_046.jpg (793.57 KB, 29 views)

rickandurs

Michael,
Here ya go:
http://www.cerrogordo.us/
Ranger Rick
M&M

Rick,

Thanks for the info.
I will keep looking for the contact numbers.

Michael

rickandurs

From Keeler it is not a bad drive at all, the last section of the road is a little steep, the road from the back side scares the heck out of me.
http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ca/cerrogordo.html
http://www.ghosttowngallery.com/htme/cerro.htm
I don't seem to be able to find contact information, keep googlin and you should find something.

Maybe Major Tom has contact info, he and Carolinge were married their, a really cool place.
Ranger Rick

M&M

Melina and I would like to visit Cerro Gordo Sept 2.
How challenging is the main road?
I read that you have to be drunk to drive it .....
Seriously, our VW van is front wheel drive and has about 10" of clearance.

How do we get permission to visit/stay in Cerro Gordo?

Thanks for any help you might have.

Michael

charles kissinger

I am looking to see if any body is interested in going up Swansea and back down
main road  to Keeler on May 13th or 14 th  . I am not sure or exact date yet
Thanks Charlie             charles-kissinger@verizon.net

skipper

Great Photo of Butte Valley 

T O Douuble D

Jayhawk: I'm leading a group ride of about 10 people otherwise I'd be stoked to hook up for a ride.

SheepRanch: That helps a lot, cheers!

sheepranch

I was on White Mt. Talc road on Presidents weekend at the junction to Cerro Gordo (at least thats where GPS noted my location  I snapped a picture of the road leading up. the. BLM post read S5 there was quite a bit of snow. However there has been alot of sun and warmer temps. I was riding in Saline on MAR. 13 and staged at Hunter Mt. Rd / Saline Rd. on my way there I noticed at the junction of Talc Rd./ Saline Rd. there was only a sprinkling of snow capping the peaks heading over toward Cerro Gordo area.Not the same amount of snow I encountered on Pres. weekend. Hope this helps.

Attached Images
jpeg IMG00021-20100214-1639[1].jpg (700.48 KB, 40 views)

Jayhawk

My buddy and I will also be riding the various roads around Saline Valley the weekend of April 10th. PM me if anyone would like to possibly meet up, as we will be staying in Big Pine.

We are first timers off road in this particular area, and would love local or experienced knowledge of the roads.

We'll be riding two BLUE 2009 KLRs.

I hope the rest of March heats and drys up.

Chris

Major Tom

I share your sentiments. Mike and Jody were very gracious people. My wife and I were married at Cerro Gordo, so the place and our hosts were very dear to us. Mike referred to the town as "the forever fixer upper." There will be a memorial service for Mike this spring, and I will post it here when the time is announced.

Here's a record of the fun: The Wedding at Cerro Gordo
Unregistered
That is very sad news indeed about Mr. Patterson.  He was a gracious host, especially it seemed if his guests showed some genuine interest in the area and its history.  When I mentioned that I had read Remi Nadeau's book, his tour around the general store/museum suddenly got a lot slower and more informative. 

His work was a labor of love, and he told a  moving story about his and his wife's love affair with the town. 

Now I regret not going back up there again.

Major Tom

I regret to say Mike Patterson died recently. I am not sure who would be the current caretaker at Cerrro Gordo.
Unregistered
I drove that route a couple years ago in a stock Jeep Cherokee, with no trouble.  But that was in October.  Considering Cerro Gordo sits at approximately 9000 feet elevation, I expect you would be lucky to find only mud there - it's probably still under a lot of snow.

It's a very nice trip, and the visit to Cerro Gordo is worth it.  (Be sure to contact Mr. Patterson ahead of time as he appreciates notice from visitors - he was a gracious host and gave us a nice tour.)  With your rides, I would rather make the trip (when the weather is better) via Swansea Grade.  Look up that road when you get the chance - it's the more challenging route to Cerro Gordo, and it takes you right past the top tower from the old Saline Valley salt tram, where the tram crossed the Inyo Mountains. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution