Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment  
ButtermilkBiscuit

A trick I used usually got me 7 to 9 days of fresh spinach, cold milk and eggs and cheese w/ all the usual condiments.... Along with originally frozen chicken, game hen, steak, ribs, bison and bacon.

If you have a large enough cooler, freeze 2 or 3 gallon water bottles of drinking water. Lay them on top of your frozen meats. Lay everything else on top of the frozen water. Add a bag of ice on top to keep the water bottles from melting too quickly. Later in the trip instead of worthless cooler water you have an extra cache of drinking water. 

Next step Is what I've been using when the weather is wamer... Dry Ice. Most grocery stores in warmer climates will have it. Be careful it's damn cold. It'll freeze anything that's touching or next to it. But I use this technique ; from the bottom of the cooler to top: dry ice/frozen water bottles/frozen meat/then foods you don't want frozen.

I usually get 5 lbs of dry ice for a 25 gallon cooler.

I did four full weeks in and around DV and came all the way home with good meat left. But that involved trips to Beatty, Baker, Furnace Creek, Trona and Bishop.

It's amazing how good fresh food will drive you to expand your adventuring.

bobhuckaby

when I buy too much food at home or my schedule changes so it doesn't get eaten, then I freeze it and take for camping.  this does double duty as making fresh food available later into the trip and additional "ice" until then.  the chile verde did very well for new years eve.
Bob from Tahoe
Salt Peter

Forgot egg-beaters. No broken eggs.
Flyfisher

This is great! I'm planning on doing a couple of weeks of camping in March. I appreciate all the menu ideas. T-bone Ribeye  I want to camp next to you! All those meals sound good…..especially the eggs bene!
James Sel

The day after Thanksgiving I like whip up a pot of "Turkey Bone Soup".........Done mess with my T-bone soup.
tbone ribeye

I find one of the true pleasures of camping is eating well.  To that end I load my Tundra with a three burner camp chef plus griddle, weber smokey joe, coleman fold-up oven, dutch oven and a large assortment of pots, pans, and utensils.  I never stay in the outback for more than a week so I load as much ice as possible and eat fresh food.

I'm not a professional chef but enjoy cooking so some of the dishes in my camp repertoire are:

Chili Verde(pork in green chile sauce)
Chile Rellenos (no refrigeration needed)
Chicken and tortillas casserole (dutch oven)
steak and eggs
eggs benedict
Cioppino (using frozen seafood usually first couple of days of trip)

plus lots of BBQ-ing and, of course, biscuits in the dutch oven.  When the ice runs out you can live on beans and biscuits for quite a while.  Just like the pioneers.  They had bacon, too.

Don't be afraid.  Be adventurous and enjoy yourself.  A good meal takes away alot of the hardships of camping.
Salt Peter

I'll give a second vote for Mountain House. Pretty tasty stuff.
I like to do stews, sandwich wraps with tortillas, fresh guac-premake it at home and add avocados as needed in camp.
VegasNaturist

We carry a bunch of these for emergency rations while exploring. They actually taste pretty good and last a long time. Because they're in pouches, you can stuff them anywhere, if space is a consideration, like under the seat, etc. Lot's of variety also...

http://www.mountainhouse.com/

John
James Sel

I will approach this from the angle of.... "The ice has melted and the cooler is empty' What should I bring next time instead of this crappy chilli and Styrofoam noodles"

Here are some of the items I like to bring for when the time comes: Dried mushrooms from an Asian grocery store, powdered milk for cooking soups and sauces, Dried salami, plenty of onions, potatoes, rice, pasta, apples, carrots, celery, cabbage, bread & tortillas.... I guess you know that these don't need refrigeration and some last longer than others. Other meats that come in a can are chicken found near the tuna in the store, chipped beef that can be made into "shit on a shingle" with some flour and the powdered milk. Corned beef hash from a can, spam, I had a ham (came in 12 oz package) wasn't much better than the spam, but better than top ramen. I have found canned cubed beef too although its hard to find sometimes it's good for lots of stuff like burrito meat. Yea canned foods kinda suck but some times they work out good enough.
 Some processed foods from Hormel........http://www.hormel.com/Home.aspx they have lots of foods for microwaves that don't need a refer. http://www.hormel.com/Brands/Compleats.aspx
Flyfisher

Just an old two burner Coleman stove. No dutch oven like some of the campers out there. Usually oatmeal in the morning, sometimes an omelette with veggies. PB and J or a tuna fish sandwich for lunch. Dinner is sometimes pasta with a marinara sauce with sweet red peppers and maybe an anaheim. The first, second and third days I'll try to have some meat such as a small steak or meatballs in the pasta.
Tacos are usually on the menu as well. Later in the trip I may end up breaking into the Stagg chili con-carne, or even top-raman! The key here being "hunger is the best sauce".
James Sel

What meals are getting dull to you so I don't repeat them. And, what does fresh mean to you ("fresh" is the most trick word in food products)....some people seem to think defrosted is fresh. To me fresh means the fish was caught in the last 24hrs. or bread is about the same.
 There are lots of wholesome food ideas out there that are not fresh but are delicious. 
What kinda cooking equpment do you have other then a camp stove?
Flyfisher

It seems I always end up with the same dull meals while camping, so I'm curious as to what other campers bring on trips. The trick is to have meals which are fresh but can be stored in a cooler for a couple of weeks at a time.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution