Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
lobo

All signs will be ignored, as will any advice you try to give them in person, just like here on this board.

knockknock

AMENNNN?!
peneumbra

If you don't know where you're going, stay out of the way of those who do.
lobo

And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply"
So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why
He said "You look like a fine upstanding young man, I think you'll do"
So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"
Whoa-oh-oh

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

And the sign said anybody caught trespassin' would be shot on sight
So I jumped on the fence and-a yelled at the house, "Hey! What gives you
the
right?"
"To put up a fence to keep me out or to keep mother nature in"
"If God was here he'd tell you to your face, Man, you're some kinda sinner"

Now, hey you, mister, can't you read?
You've got to have a shirt and tie to get a seat
You can't even watch, no you can't eat
You ain't supposed to be here
The sign said you got to have a membership card to get inside
Ugh!

------ lead guitar ------

And the sign said, "Everybody welcome. Come in, kneel down and pray"
But when they passed around the plate at the end of it all, I didn't have a
penny to pay
So I got me a pen and a paper and I made up my own little sign
I said, "Thank you, Lord, for thinkin' 'bout me. I'm alive and doin' fine."
Wooo!

Sign
Sign, sign

encore889

As i have stated before in a separate post... a sign should be in all the restrooms right in front of the toilet. You have no choice but to read it while doing your business. I know there are talented artists here that can make a pretty sign. My writing looks like chicken scratch. I'm willing to put money where my mouth is... I will pay for the wood and paint and varnish if someone helps with the writing. I live in so cal. Contact me and lets giter done! I think a list of top 20 rules should be good. Most ppl probably read past that. Anyone have Lee's email or contact info or a good friend of his? Prob should run the list by him before we do the signs. [smile]

Having flyers at the Additional Camping Info boxes might also work.
Hi Desert Warrior

Here, here.
Sparky of SoCal

Unfortunately the people who simply toss a diaper in the bushes I doubt give a crap what a sign says. Not against a sign but sometimes people just don't give a shit.
trigger

Lol! Maybe a big sign then
peneumbra

The sign discussion has been ongoing for a long time - at least since 1980, when I started hanging out at SV.

During one discussion, there were so many rules (suggestions?) proposed that someone called it "The Fifty-Six Commandments"...
trigger

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There needs to be a nice wood sign erected near the tubs somewhere explaining the rules. Doesn't have to be an obnoxious sign but just one big enough to list some basic rules. I wish signs weren't necessary but they are. Not everyone will read the sign and not everyone will abide by the rules after reading it but some folks more than likely will. Also it give us who have been going there along time something to point at when we are explaining to new folks the rules and why those rules exist. Some people aren't bad intentioned they just don't know what to do and sometimes have no common sense. It's much harder to play dumb when there is a visible sign explaining proper etiquette for the area.
encore889

All these things we are talking about happened for mt. whitney hikers...

Originally there were just the standard rules for dropping a deuce.  Dig a hole at least 6" deep and cover it up good.  And take your TP out with you...which is standard rules for most of the sierras.  Well ended up NO ONE was digging a hole 6" deep, more like a lil depression.  And everyone was leaving their TP and barely covering the depression.  As more and more ppl wanted to brag to their friends that they hiked Mt. whitney, more crap and TP collected near the campsites and along the trail.  Rangers were so sick of picking up TP and other trash, they decided to make everyone carry WAG BAGS.  (After the trailhead there are no roads, so no way could they put a vault toilet.)  So Yes everyone had to dookie in a bag, and hopefully you carry it out with you.  Well you guessed it, the double dumb asses began leaving their wag bags.  Didn't eliminate the problem, but much better than TP all over the side of the mtn. 

What's sad is, saline valley has vault toilets, but some ppl still can't crap in the can!? 

Seriously, everyone who cares about this beautiful serene oasis, needs to be proactive and talk to newcomers about keeping it clean and respecting our springs.  I don't normally like to get in peoples business, but in this care, if we see something, we need to say something.  Otherwise it will turn into a dump like deep creek.  That used to be one of my fav. places to go... now there's scattered trash and TP everywhere.  Every time I go, I get pissed off.  I carry some out with me, but there's just too much.

Arrived at the palm springs on Sunday and set up camp only to discover a used baby diaper in the bushes next to my car. People just don't get about picking up there trash. I guess it was better there than down the toilet.
lobo

I had a good time on my first visit,[biggrin] but I can see why newcomers ignore the "old-timers", yes, you guys![nono]

encore889

What do mean?? We should all shirt cock near all the jackasses and scare them away.... bac, back, back, back to the city??!!
[rofl][wave][wink][biggrin]

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!