Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 5 of 11     «   Prev   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   Next   »
trigger

The park service isn’t going to turn the springs into anything other than it is now if Lee leaves. Having campground hosts on a rotational basis will do the job just fine. I know there are people willing to do it. I wouldn’t get hung up on the thought that we have to have him there to have the springs. Camp hosts like Georg and Ria are exactly what the the springs (upper and lower) need!
Thunder58

Wow, I think SalineOldTimer needs to find a new hangout. I for one and grateful that Lee has basically given up life as the general public knows it to keep this place going and basically with his very presence keep the DVPS at bay. I was told by a park employee that the only reason the park hasn't jumped in and taken over this oasis is because that is his home. When he dies so does the freedom SVWS has. They will come in and convert it to a typical park services area. That means big changes and probably many more restrictions. People need to realize this and enjoy this last bastion of the past. Seriously!  
Sam D.

I sent you a PM
Sam D.

I guess SPA moderators took this crap down? It has little to do with Camp Needs. Are you sure you want to bring it back?
Sam D.

2/14/2018

Lizard Lee always needs AA and AAA batteries. He welcomes donations as well.

There are only 4 remaining Koi fish that survived in the koi pond. Whoever brought the fish, please bring more.

DO NOT FORGET TO BRING LARGE HEAVY DUTY PLASTIC BAGS TO HAUL OUT YOUR AND COMMUNITY FIREPIT ASHES PLEASE

MAY I SUGGEST YOU DATE WITH A MARKER AT HOME EVERYTHING YOU BRING TO GET ROTATION GOING PLEASE

Lower Springs:

NO BLEACH FOR NOW  - got enough

Spray bottles to mist bleach  - reduces bleach consumption tenfold - leave them by the Crystal pool.
These will work:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-32-oz-Professional-Sprayer-HDPRO36/100007602
http://www.homedepot.com/p/SprayMaster-32-oz-Spray-Bottle-FG32HD1-18/202622477

Clorox Bleach Foamers
- or other bleach based cleaners  - Single pooper has enough. The double pooper could use 2 more in each stall.

Solid Air Fresheners like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Glade-Solid-Freshener-Honeysuckle-Nectar/dp/B00E9OYDGU

Biodegradable dishwashing soap

Premium Toilet Paper.

Kitchen scrubbing sponges

Paper Towels + gloves + elbow grease are needed for cleaning the restrooms but PLEASE DO NOT DISPOSE USED PAPER TOWELS  into the restroom tanks. Collect into your trash bag and take them home. Do not leave unused paper towels in the restrooms - hide them in the storage, donate to camp host or take back home. People use paper towels to wipe hands and throw them into the tanks. Paper towels do not break easily and often clog pump truck hoses.

Palms Springs:

Broom or two:
1) Squeegee-broom type is most useful for sweeping the sand while draining the tubs; and
2) Regular kitchen type broom for sweeping the shower deck and outhouse.

TP is the only supplies that would be needed in the near future at Palm Spring so only bring septic approved and no Charmin type TP.

Biodegradable dishwashing soap

Kitchen scrubbing sponges

Solid Air Fresheners like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Glade-Solid-Freshener-Honeysuckle-Nectar/dp/B00E9OYDGU
trigger

I miss them!!! Such good people. Couldn’t ask for better hosts.
PahrumpGeorge

BL.

I will respond on this thread rather than a P.M. as others may want to visit them also.

They are spending the entire winter, probably until mid-April at De Anza Springs Resort which is off of I-8 near Jacumba,CA.
1951 Carrizo Rd.
Jacumba, CA 91934

I don't know which camp site they are in.

Geo.
BLawyered

♡♡♡ That is wonderful! Where in San Diego? I would love to stop by to give them a thanks! They were always so nice!
PahrumpGeorge

Just a little info about Georg and Ria that most of you probably do not know.
They would accept cash donations and would sell aluminum cans and some bottles in town (it was rare that they went to town) all of the money received went into a separate account.
From this account, they only bought supplies for the Palm Springs area and they kept the place well supplied and maintained.
When they made their final departure, they gave just short of $300 to SPA, which will then be used for spring maintenance as originally intended.

A comment about Ria.
On busy weekends, she would get up around 5:00 am each morning to clean the out-house before the crowd arrived.

They are now spending the winter at a camp near San Diego; our loss.

Happy soaks.
Geo.
Salt Peter

How bout George and Ria as a replacement for Lee. Quasi-permanent like LL is now.
They will have the whole place in check in no time. No more burros looking for handouts at sunset. No more burning of donated wood. They would actually have an interest in the springs instead of looking out for themselves.
DIG

While a camp host is necessary to keep a basic eye out to let park officials know what's going on and for emergence safety reasons.
Lee needs to be replaced too many days in the sun. I would be OK with him staying there perminantly as thanks for a time he may have been a good host, but he is hostile twords visitors wich I feel is contrary to what a good National park person should be.I would think the National park would want cheerful energetic encouraging helpful people. I have been helped by Lee in a medical situation but that's about all I can say for that help. But never have ever gotten a simple friendly smile.
Hey park officials look into this!!!!
I would sign a petition to get a new host.
Oh and that don guy who was at the upper springs was totally a piece in my book!!
James Sel

nothing new here
SalineOldTimer

Wood burning illustrates the camp host’s anti-social anti-visitor stance. I believe he burns community firewood for two reasons:

1) He does not like people making noise by the fire pit once he retires to his Fortress of Solitude;

2) He sells firewood so people’s donations compete with his business.

Otherwise, I do not know how to explain this anti-social behavior.

I propose ALL visitors coming for the President’s Day weekend get together and confront Lizard Lee – all 200+. In addition, the park rangers visit the campgrounds during the holiday. Please talk to them.

The camp host’s antics are getting detrimental to people’s enjoyment of the springs. Can somebody explain why he gathers burro crap into the common area fire pit? Can somebody explains why he defines everyone and feeds his burros?

JayOtheMountains

Let's talk about that community firewood, can we?

Over a week, I witnessed Lee build a fire every day with the "excess" firewood left in the pile. Each. and. every. day. HE piled it on, like ON. Every day at 2:30 when the crystal pool was emptied a fire was started. No one sat around it to enjoy it, no one to utilize the time/heat. It was always a larger fire - 5-7 logs - and he burnt it until all the wood in the pile was gone. Something along the lines of burning it to burn it so there was nothing there for people to use to discourage the late-night parties from happening. He stoked it and left it. Then the sun went down, and about the time folks would show up there was just a small pile of coals. Wood burned, pile lessened, and more wood was retrieved from camp(s) to have a good time. People would stop by and throw in excess wood to the pile, but it was summarily burned.

I bring wood every time I go. I used to leave my excess at the pile, but after witnessing it I will no longer do so. The pile doesn't stay for community fires. It gets burned by the host so that there is less and discourages folks from hanging out at the community pit. You don't see this on holiday weekends or the busy weeks because there are some significant "old-timers" who will call him out on it; and/or he knows better than to do so. But for those who show up with a small amount of wood and hope to contribute in part to a community night during the slow/quiet weeks, it's difficult to have a pile build over a few days and then be able to enjoy an evening when all the wood you bring is burned out of spite.

Bring your wood, but I'd recommend only bringing it to the community pit when you plan on attending. This, unless the host is realigned.
Farmer_Fred

Please bring firewood exclusively for the lower springs community fire pit  not   just leftover wood from your private camp. Thanks  

Might be extra folks over Pres Day weekend
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution