Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
Sam D.

There are 3 soft rakes at the Lower Springs. 2 are in an OK shape and one has its tines in all direction. So if you'd like to bring a new high quality metal rake please go ahead.
The double pooper could use 1 Clorox Bleach foamer in each stall. There is also a donation of 2 Costco size bleach cleaners and refills in the storage.

Nobody seems to be dating the donations. I volunteered a nice lady to walk around the outhouses dating everything undated with imaginary dates to get rotation going.
Smiffy1892

There last weekend and supplies at lower springs seemed to be in good shape (bleach, TP, etc).
Some communal biodegradable dish-soap would be a good bring.

I didnt see any rakes to rake up the ground surrounding the fire pit but I may have missed them...

Other than that am heading out over veterans day and can bring some supplies if needed...
Sam D.

Lizard Lee always needs CR123 Lithium batteries. He also welcomes cash donations.

DO NOT FORGET TO BRING LARGE HEAVY DUTY PLASTIC BAGS TO HAUL OUT YOUR AND COMMUNITY FIREPIT ASHES PLEASE

PLEASE DATE WITH A MARKER AT HOME EVERYTHING YOU BRING TO GET ROTATION GOING!

Lower Springs:

NO MORE COMET/AJAX CLEANERS FOR A WHILE - THERE IS PLENTY

BLEACH - DO NOT bring "splashless" bleach to the springs for cleaning the tubs. It has the effect of being very foamy and difficult to rinse out after cleaning the pools. 
Regular bleach works best. Filling a spray bottle with regular bleach to spray on the tub surfaces when empty works very well. It is easier to rinse and neutralizes the quickest.

Quality spray bottles - no more 99 cent bottles - they last 1-2 times.

Premium  TP

Solid Air Fresheners with odor neutralizer like this:
https://www.renuzit.com/products/cones

Biodegradable only dishwashing soap

Kitchen scrubbing sponges

Paper Towels + gloves + elbow grease are needed for cleaning the restrooms but PLEASE DO NOT DISPOSE USED PAPER TOWELS  into the restroom tanks. Collect into your trash bag and take them home. Do not leave unused paper towels in the restrooms - hide them in the storage, donate to camp host or take back home. People use paper towels to wipe hands and throw them into the tanks. Paper towels do not break easily and often clog pump truck hoses.

Palms Springs:

Bi-level brush and a long handle. Smart and Finals has the right softness:
https://www.instacart.com/smart-final/products/1952795-laitner-deck-10-inch-bilevel-wash-brush-1-ct

Hand Sanitizers - none at the Palm Springs. There are 3 large bottles in the storage at the Lower Springs. You might want to relocate one from the Lower Springs storage to the Palm Springs. 

BLEACH - DO NOT bring "splashless" bleach to the springs for cleaning the tubs. It has the effect of being very foamy and difficult to rinse out after cleaning the pools. 
Regular bleach works best. Filling a spray bottle with regular bleach to spray on the tub surfaces when empty works very well. It is easier to rinse and neutralizes the quickest.

Premium  TP

1 Tile/Grout brush

Biodegradable only dishwashing soap

Solid Air Fresheners with odor neutralizer like this :
https://www.renuzit.com/products/cones
John914

There is plenty of TP in all bathrooms now. I’m not sure about the lower springs, but the upper springs is down to about 3 1/2 gallons of bleach.
Upper springs can use a broom handle to use with the scrub brush (I brought my own luckily). And a cheap pool skimmer would be handy for between cleanings.
Farmer_Fred

Please bring firewood exclusively for the lower springs community fire pit  not   just leftover wood from your private camp. Thanks
Salt Peter

No hatchet to bury. Lee is a necessity and isn't all bad. I just don't understand making that large of a fire in the afternoon. I usually leave any wood I don't burn. When I leave wood I try to check with other campers first to see if they need any. If not I leave it by the fire ring I'm using. Like I said the last time I was there Lee had wood stacked by his dwelling and wasn't in dire need of anymore. New users who post on his behalf calling for donations of wood seems a bit strange to me. Remember the time there was a huge afternoon bonfire for no reason? Think that occurred within the past two years. Then there are Lee's pet burros getting fed. 

I'm not sure about most others but after a good soak I'm already warm.
Beverages are always offered and enjoyed, cheers!

So back on topic, I've got hand sanitizer and foamers for the Palm Spring Crapper. I usually bring bleach and TP too but it looks like it is stocked. Will check back when it is closer to my trip.
Sam D.

Based on your previous posts you are not a Lizard Lee fan. We get it. I like the guy. If he wants to be warm getting out the pool it's ok with me if he burns some firewood. I'll bring more.
How much have you brought lately, Peter?
When I was younger and able I actually helped LL gather some logs on the county land for the community firepit numerous times. I can assure you that he cares about the springs way more than he shows. Of course you are entitled of your opinion and I have mine. So, let's bury the hatchet and have some 12 or 18oz.
Salt Peter

Really?
Last time I looked Lee had a sh*t ton of wood for his personal use. Why not leave the wood for the community that people donate to be used by people who may not have enough and for a meaninful fire. Must be another Lee fanboy.
psycosoaker

firewood is meant to be burned.  so what if lizard lee wants a campfire while he soaks.  stop your whining!
DVExile

Yeah, no one bother bringing wood for the fire pit please. Lee just burns the wood as fast as he can. This past week all four nights both he and I were there I saw him set a 10 to 12 log fire every afternoon when he sits in the wizard pool. He then leaves it unattended for the rest of the afternoon and evening. He burned about 50 stout logs in four days by my count. There were never more than two people at lower springs the whole time.

So those of you going to great effort to haul wood save your time and money. It won't last but a week or two at the rate Lee torches it.
Farmer_Fred

I linseed oil the benches once a year at the lower springs,   please do not paint them.

Please bring firewood exclusively for the lower springs   not   just leftover wood from your private camp. Thanks
XPBC

Don't bother to paint the shelf in the Palm Spring outhouse.  Someone will just paint over it just like they did over the nice flowers on the wall.  But I noticed the Lower Spring outhouse art hasn't been painted over.  I also think it's a bad idea to paint the benches at Palm Spring.  Maybe some conditioning oil or similar but paint will just bake off like the original. 
My two cents.
holly609

Community firewood should be allocated for a specific community firepit, which should be of a size that discourages wasteful use of resources. If I want a big fire, I bring big wood... the one time, I might add, that bringing big wood to the pool is socially acceptable. Meanwhile, my camp firepit will need to be a bit bigger. And all the wood I burn in it will be hauled in by myself. Ashes go into a big bin and back to my house with all the rest of my trash. What wood I haven't burned goes into the community pile. Common courtesy = average intelligence / degree of selfishness (cc=ai/S°). It's all very scientific....
Salt Peter

I don't get the need for tons of wood down at the lower springs but I rarely go down there. I prefer Palm Spring instead. But if there's some left over and you want to donate I get that.

I always take out ashes which is good advice. I don't feel it is imperative to make fire rings smaller. That's the type of behavior I see a lot of "nature groups" guilty of - I like it this way and feel it is the way to go. If someone wants a big fire let them have it. I don't like rebuilding fire rings/pits. That being said, my fires are tame. I like to sit close and enjoy it for what it is. Please don't tear down fire pits.
XPBC

The deal with the wood situation at community burn rings is some campers will burn at will if there is a big pile to supply their big ass fire that you need to stand way back from.  I would never want to regulate but come on guys. Do you really need to have a fire so big you can't stand by it?  No matter how much firewood the Lower Springs community pit get stocked with it usually goes by way too quick.  Saline Springs relies a lot on etiquette and the firewood thing seems to be missing out here.  I like to use good etiquette and bring a couple logs for the fire when visiting others camp if I have it. So next time you go to hang out at the Lower bring a log and burn it like you hauled it out there. 

Upper Camp needs;
Break down huge fire pits that you need to build a huge fire in to stay warm.  If you have to stand back 3 feet because the fire ring is 9' diameter you need to waste wood.  I do at least one every trip. Major Tom & Carolynn taught me this.  Remove rocks so there are only 1 or 2 rocks wide around the perimeter and just a couple high around the burn pan. Always try to lead by example and leave your burn pan clean and always use a burn pan.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution