Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 5      1   2   3   4   Next   »
BigDaddyJEH

Thanks Sam D, I will bring what I can.  I will have my wife this trip, so I will have to back A LOT of extra stuff for her.  Room in the FJ will be a little tight.  
Sam D.

Please see my post above. I's a month old but should give some ideas. 
BLawyered

Bump for updates. Thanks
BigDaddyJEH

Anything needed at the Springs?  I am going 12/15 through 12/17. 

I will bring Lee AA and AAA Batteries and some cash!  
Thunder58

Rabbit,
So sorry you did not find the spot for the wood. Next time you visit you must explore the area. We find new things every time we go! We have explored the Sources at the camp site as well as looked for others above the camp area. So many unique features there and the wildlife never disappoints. If you have a chance next time please visit the main Oasis there and check out the work that has been done over several decades. Truly an enchanting experience!

rabbit

I did not leave any wood at the springs, I did not try finding where to drop it off  as I stayed to myself, so I carried it back out with me. It has been passed onto other people to use.

rabbit

I will bring a mix of hard and soft as suggested, thank you for a simple answer to a simple question.
desertholly

Wood that burns hot for a long time is hardwood - mesquite, oak, madrone
Wood that is easier to get started is softwood - fir, redwood, pine
A combination would be fantastic - otherwise I'd go with hardwood.
Thanks for asking!
rabbit

I know this might be answered here before, somewhere, but here goes, what type of wood is most wanted for the donation supply? I'd hate to bring oak where pine was preferred, or vice-versa.
Sam D.

BigDaddyJEH, Lizard Lee always needs AA and AAA batteries. He welcomes donations as well.

DO NOT FORGET TO BRING LARGE HEAVY DUTY PLASTIC BAGS TO HAUL OUT YOUR AND COMMUNITY FIREPIT ASHES PLEASE

MAY I SUGGEST YOU DATE WITH A MARKER AT HOME EVERYTHING YOU BRING TO GET ROTATION GOING PLEASE

Lower Springs:

NO BLEACH FOR NOW  - got enough

TP supplies might be depleted after the Thanksgiving Weekend.

Spray bottles to mist bleach  - reduces bleach consumption tenfold - leave them by the Crystal pool.
These will work:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-32-oz-Professional-Sprayer-HDPRO36/100007602
http://www.homedepot.com/p/SprayMaster-32-oz-Spray-Bottle-FG32HD1-18/202622477

Clorox Bleach Foamers
- or other bleach based cleaners  - Single pooper has enough. The double pooper had none so I relocated a couple from the Single pooper but more needed.

Solid Air Fresheners like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Glade-Solid-Freshener-Honeysuckle-Nectar/dp/B00E9OYDGU

Biodegradable dishwashing soap

Paper Towels + gloves + elbow grease are needed for cleaning the restrooms but PLEASE DO NOT DISPOSE USED PAPER TOWELS  into the restroom tanks. Collect into your trash bag and take them home. Do not leave unused paper towels in the restrooms - hide them in the storage, donate to camp host or take back home. People use paper towels to wipe hands and throw them into the tanks. Paper towels do not break easily and often clog pump truck hoses.

Palms Springs:

Broom or two:
1) Squeegee-broom type is most useful for sweeping the sand while draining the tubs; and
2) Regular kitchen type broom for sweeping the shower deck and outhouse.

TP is the only supplies that would be needed in the near future at Palm Spring so only bring septic approved and no Charmin type TP.

Biodegradable dishwashing soap

Solid Air Fresheners like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Glade-Solid-Freshener-Honeysuckle-Nectar/dp/B00E9OYDGU

XPBC

Palm Spring is overstocked with bleach and scrub brushes. There is no need for paper towels whatsoever so please don't leave them in the outhouse. If you need to dry off the seat after I clean the toilet just use TP.  There is also an abundance of foamy spray and hand sanitizer. TP is the only supplies that would be needed in the near future at Palm Spring so only bring septic approved and no Charmin type TP.
Seems the foamy spray is stacking up because of the lack of use.  It's easy; Spray around the whole toilet everywhere, scrub the hard spots and rinse with some water you carry up in the provided five gallon buckets. Sweep out residual water with provided broom. Takes ten minutes. 
saline soaker

I counted 32 gallons of bleach at Palm about a week ago.
desertholly

I've got 8 bottles of the Clorox Foamer spray bottles, as requested. I wish large refill bottles were available.  We will be at Palm Springs on Friday or Saturday.  If I can fit paper supplies, I'll bring a bunch. With the temperature dropping, I'm now more concerned with firewood!
[crazy]
Upon return: WELL - XPBC is certainly correct. What I am particularly concerned about is the overwhelming quantity of "3ply-stronger" TP. Please leave the cushy-on-your-tushy TP at home.  What the springs latrine needs is the stuff that is easy to break down! Even if you use more of it, it is still better.  But, here's what concerns me even more: George & Rhea used a big bucket to collect "gently used" TP and burned it. I enjoyed that aspect of their Camp Hosting. Previously I remember people burning their own. I'd like to see that happen again ~ unless an outhouse blockage is no longer an issue.  I am not an expert in these matters ~ just trying to apply some common sense.
Palm.supplies.1.jpg  Palm.supplies.2.jpg  Palm.supplies.3.jpg     
What I noticed is a lack of dish detergent and sponges (none). Also there was no wood at the communal fire pit at Warm Springs.
Farmer_Fred

Please bring firewood exclusively for the lower springs community fire pit  not   just leftover wood from your private camp. Thanks
BigDaddyJEH

Thank you!  I will be going in two weeks again!  I will not have as much room, but I can bring more stuff and fix most things.  What else does Lee like?  I gave him batteries and money! 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!