Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment  
Jukebox Mark

I noted that the ranger that spoke to the biological question of the palm's maturity and ability to spread in the absence of water [Bob's question] seemed uncomfortable, as if the biology didn't quite support the park's position. And I believe this is because it is the case; the palms are in fact mature enough to have spread, but have not, as Bob pointed out, to the nearby seven sisters.

Airplane Wayne just confirmed to me last weekend that he planted one of the palms at the lower springs in 1971. That's 47 years ago. The biologist said the palms are mature enough to spread seed at 30-40 years. And yet no palms have sprouted even in the aeroweed that shelters the downstream runoff from the springs.

But I truly appreciate the Park Service's willingness to offer the political compromise of allowing the palms to remain in spite of the general rule against non-native species. 

Sometimes it's a lot easier to hold to the black and white extremes than the 'grey' compromise position that still leaves you vulnerable to attack from both sides. In this case, I believe they are holding as much to the users side as they can in the face of enviro-extremists.

Welcome to SPA,

There are videos for both the Saline and Bishop meetings. All three meetings were fairly similar in regard to how they were conducted and varying comments from the people in attendance. Could you elaborate on the body language you're referring to? I may have to rewatch the videos.
kitebob1

Ryan,  Thank you for posting the video, so I could hear most of the conversations.  Everyone should review this.  Be sure to look at the NPS reps. body language.
Bob
Salt Peter

Yes thank you for posting the video.
sierragrl

so nice to see so many people I've met at the springs over the years...how different they look with clothes on[wink]

Thanks for posting this and thanks to Ryan for taking it!
Mojavesun

Last night there was a Saline Warm Springs draft management plan meeting in Bishop held by Death Valley National Park. Here is the video I took of the meeting. Feel free to share the link!

Comments on the draft plan are accepted until July 1st--- be sure to get your comments in by then!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution