Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment  
Macfly

For sure these new digital cameras see more that the eye can see at night, which is why I love it. It's a view of the world our eyes can't see, which also makes it a great excuse to hang out taking pictures under the night sky.
chrishynes

This image almost looks photoshopped... however I know it is real! Thank you for such a beautiful picture!!! Absolutely majestic!

Salt Peter

Beautiful photo. I can imagine how pleasant it was up there.
Macfly

That's so awesome to see, thanks for sharing! I took my truck up to the tram station in Oct for a night of star gazing, and was wondering what it would have been like on foot, so this answers my question perfectly, thanks for sharing!

_MAC8305.v1ig.jpg 

bikerjosh

@davidkiel, thanks for sharing the slide show. Not sure but it may have been the fresh cup of coffee or the sunrise taking place while I was watching but it stirred up a lot of good memories of earlier exploits. How many days were you out of this trip? Thanks again for sharing, beautiful.
Amber Bruno

Hi there! Looking for someone to tag along with or talk is through getting up to Beveridge and maybe frenchies. Been many years and the trail from hunter canyon seems gone?? Anyways will be at the springs the week of thanks giving (next week) and I am hoping to connect with some people who have been up recently. Thank you in advance
davidkiel

Sorry. I nixed it because I was working on an edit. Should be good to go now.

The clip or the link seems to be dead, but I'd love to see it.
Max

Nice slide show of your hike up to Beveridge! It brought back some memories. Last time I was there was around 1984 or so. I didn't hike up to it, I hiked down to it. Drove my old IH Scout up the Swansea trail to the base of NY Butte with 6 others on board, the small truck bed full of backpacks, people sitting or standing wherever they could. I ditched the truck there behind some hay bales a friend had stashed for his horse, then we hiked down into Beveridge and spent the night there. Next day, up to the Keynot mine where a friend working there joined us. He was tasked with welding up some water storage tanks to contain the meager water flow for the mine operators. They were expecting us, and we had a great dinner in the mess hall, with wine, beer, spaghetti, a whole ham and all the trimmings. Water was a problem, and I remember helping with the dish washing in plastic tubs with a ridiculous minimum of water. But we got 'em clean.

Next day, we packed up and hiked cross country over to McElvoy Canyon, spending the night up above the first waterfall. In the morning, we began heading down and encountered the first fall, around 60 feet as I recall. Then another, and then the biggie, around 100 foot vertical drop. We had brought climbing ropes and harnesses and stuff for that. It took some time to get us all down from there, so we made camp just below that falls.

Next morning, we proceeded down McElvoy and some more waterfalls, ending up at the canyon mouth. We had set up our rendezvous ahead of time for getting a lift back to Keeler. Friends of mine (ours), Glen and Allen Aiken who were at the Morningsun Mill site were to be expecting our group to signal them, precise time not known, with hand-held mirrors reflecting the sun's light in their direction. Well, the scheme actually worked. We couldn't have known it at the time, but sure enough, we eventually heard the gravel moving and the engine sounds of Glen's old IH Travelall coming to fetch us. We all spent the night at Morningsun. Next day, Allen drove us all back to Keeler.

Then, I had to figure out how to get to my Scout so I could drive it back to Lone Pine. Another adventure! A friend with a Jeep had promised to give me a ride up there, but he backed out. I had to do it myself. I drove my old Studebaker Lark up the Long John Canyon road until the washout which has been washed out forever, parked, and cross country hiked up the northern flank ridge to the base of NY Butte. Got lost a few times, and the sun was going down. Eventually found the trail, the same one we walked on to Beveridge. Headed south and over to the Scout, where I knew there would be the cool-ish 6 pack of beer I had left in it. The Scout & the beer were there. I made it back down the Inyos without incident.

Sometimes the short hikes in a place you have grown to love are the best. 

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution