Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment  
uncle oiler

I was there when the rock was smashed,and buried I took a few chunks with me..the most interesting thing was the paint built up over the years was about an inch and a half thick..think friends still have pieces. I’ll get a photo next time I visit them. When the rock was smashed it was painted either all black,or all gold,can’t recall...it appears it was painted a few hundred times over a long period
SilverBob

Hi Tim!  If the picture is on the forum, you can use it any way you want.

Cheers!
speakeasy

the springs could really use a book.
Timmy

Hi Silver Bob
May I use this picture in my book?
the NPS published a map that stated to "turn at the painted rock to find the hot springs"

I am also looking for a pic of The Wizard, if any one has a good one I would appreciate it
Tim
SilverBob

bat rock small.jpg This was taken in 1997.  I think this paint job is the reason someone decided that the rock needed to go. I've heard a couple different stories about its disappearance, including one that had it buried, dug up, and then re-buried.  Wherever it is, I miss the rock.  I don't miss the paint but I miss the rock.
Thunder58

My first trip to the Springs was based off the internet. All l did was google it. But I still had to have a high clearance vehicle to make it back in there. The days of secrecy are over. The internet exposes everything.
Gene

Bat Rock is buried. I was there when Steve (I think that was his name) who worked at the mine brought his backhoe and buried it. It was an attempt at the time to slow down the crowds arriving. If my memory is correct it was before internet days. Over the 35+ years I've been going to Saline there have been so many articles about the Springs. It may have been right after a National Geographic article that Bat Rock was buried.

Bat Rock used to mark the turnoff for the road to the Springs. Here is a photo taken
by Gypsy June  in 1995.

Rumor has it that the Bat Rock is still there, buried in the road adjacent to where it had been.

batrock by june 1995.jpg

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution