Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Salt Peter

It was not the same aircraft at the Racetrack. It was dark green with no notable N-number. Once he was aware that others recognized the location he took the photos down.

Too bad you weren't able to stop this ATV rider and educate him. I'm sure he would have been very open minded and said thank you and turned around and left (sarcasm). The reason people post photos is in case the person is known to others perhaps the idea that they were put in the interwebs will give them cause to reconsider future behavior.
Sam D.

No back thoughts - just the desire to find out if it was legal and, if not, who the hero is/was if he made it to the springs. He was going way too fast for me to stop and talk even if I wanted to engage him. And I was not sure whether he was breaking any laws at the time. I only suspected he was illegal and contributed to the washboard formation.

As far as the plane posting... the replies revealed high res photos of the tail #. The hotspringer who emailed me the photo and asked me to post actually made a complaint to the park few days prior to my posting. I am sure the pilot will be apprehended and cited. The park may also investigate if the same plane also landed on the racetrack.

If you do not like my posts, please delete. I won't feel bad.
SilverBob

I really don't understand why some of us feel compelled to post pictures of people doing illegal things on this forum.  What purpose does it serve?  Wouldn't it be better to just explain to the person that he/she is doing something wrong and what the consequences may be.  I've found that most people respond well to this type of advise.  Those who don't adjust their behavior deserve whatever they get.  Just posting pictures, whether it's an airplane or a quad or a dirt bike doesn't do a damn thing about solving the problem.  
Sam D.

Thanks, Silver Bob. I also thought it was illegal. Does anyone know who this dumb dumb is?
ATV1.jpg  ATV2.jpg 

SilverBob

According to this map, the answer would be NO.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8b/Map_of_Death_Valley_National_Park.jpg

While the Saline Valley Road is the Park boundary through much of the valley, the road actually goes through the park from Marble Canyon to the top of the long grade on the north and from south of the salt flat through Lee Flats on the south end.  Those sections would make it illegal to drive an ATV into the valley from either end.

Technically, I suppose you could trailer an ATV into the valley and use it on the SVR between the top of the grade and the Salt Tram, but that's about all you could do with it.
Sam D.

Just curious if atvs allowed on the passes? I know they are illegal on the DEVA NPS land.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.