Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
paul belanger

oops, yes the north pass was the pass with the report
Salt Peter

Did I miss something? The report was on the North Pass.
paul belanger

Ps, Bob, thanks for the road report on north pass...we, in our stock rig, of course, will NOT be trying it, until word of it's repair. We're from LA anyway... always used south pass until last year.
paul belanger

Bob,try to stay on topic...I was asking about the SOUTH pass......
:)
As for the Ford thing.....(ahem) I've had great fun with my Fords.....they've held up great for me...,
James Sel

Paul the only part of you rig that might have troubles is the "Ford" part.  Other than that you're good to go.
SilverBob

My report was posted last night.  Please read the "Impassable? Ummmmm.....NO!!! " thread. 

To save you the suspense, DON'T TRY THE NORTH PASS IN YOUR RIG!!!!
paul belanger

We have a stock 2008 4x4 Ford Ranger/Explorer 4-door truck w/upgraded tires. It can crawl over rocks/ruts 12-18"... not much more. Also have a winch, lotta Saline experience & (I believe) good common sense. We are gonna give it a try in September via the south pass. if we get turned around then so be it.

I hope so Silver Bob's report is coming soon.
James Sel

What kind of rig do you drive Paul?

My old Toy 4X4  made it thought the south easily but, it shook the hell out of me like never before. The truck is capable of much harder trails. There is a spot near the opening in the fenced area just before the old artesian road that my truck would have needed to be put into 4wd if the tires weren't over sized for this truck.
 In a nut shell 2wd on that rd will likely make it if  you have good clearance and the tools and skills to get unstuck. One would need to have to know when to turn around and forget it above all things. 

If you (everyone) want to do backcountry exploration or travel, get a proper vehicle for the task. Carry proper vehicle extraction equipment in case a sand drift or something catches you."
paul belanger

Okay, north pass is out for the time being. How is the south pass currently?  If I am correctly informed, it was never totally repaired after last year's incidents?

Concerning donations to SPA, they are what funds this forum, no?  Just an observation.

tronaborn

I sure would have liked to see the flow when it scoured all that away.  Must have been unbelievably powerful.  One of the things I like about the area is how harsh and sometimes violent the conditions can get to be and this is a good example of it.  

I would also say, regarding suggestions that Inyo County install a culvert, I'm sure it's been considered but found that the size would be enormous and impractical. It could still wash away given enough water.  

pugsly

Quote:
Originally Posted by "SilverBob"
I'm leaving within the hour to meet up with Mark and Ken to document the conditions of the North Pass washout.  We'll take more pictures and report on the part of the road that James couldn't get to.  Who knows, there may be more damage beyond the big wash near Willow Creek.

Thanks for heading out on the recon mission - looking forward to getting your update and pictures.  Even the video posted is hard to get a good feel for the depth of that ditch - but I know exactly where it is and how deep that wash is a little further up!

Safe journeys!
Tito

Great video James thanks for taking the "time" to go out there!  Silver Bob have a safe trip and thanks for taking "your time" to do a little recon on behalf of all of us Saline Valley recreationists!  Can't wait to see your results.
tronaborn

You know of course, Un, that spelling and grammatical criticism in an online forum like this is the last refuge of a scoundrel.  Helps to know what kind of a person you are.  You should probably change your handle to Unforgiving.  
SilverBob

I'm leaving within the hour to meet up with Mark and Ken to document the conditions of the North Pass washout.  We'll take more pictures and report on the part of the road that James couldn't get to.  Who knows, there may be more damage beyond the big wash near Willow Creek.

Un Forgiven, you obviously have a warped understanding of the word "transparency".  The board published their intentions on this website back on May 29th for all to see!  If they hadn't been so transparent two months ago, you wouldn't even know about it.  Just because you don't like what they decided doesn't mean it's not transparent. 

Since you do know about it now, DON'T DONATE IF IT BOTHERS YOU THAT MUCH!  And tell that to all your imaginary friends, too.  It's amazing how this episode is following the last one so closely.  You say you have so much support, yet not one person is willing to step up and lend any credence to your position on this forum.

My apologies to anyone checking in to this thread to learn about road conditions.
pugsly

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Un Forgiven"
To James Sel, you misspelled wants and hear (tells me something about your mental acumen). And why are you speaking on behalf of everyone? Lots of people contacted me
and pledged their support to bring transparency to SPA spending. That's all I am advocating.

@Un Forgiven if that were true you wouldn't be trolling this thread, but of course you know that and you've succeeded in your goal of derailing this discussion.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!