Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
gael

The "rocky bits". ahahahaaa!
timo

Was at the springs for the early March rains and on my way out stopped to inspect the culvert at Willow Creek.  The up hill end was buried and just a 6" opening visible.  With a small bar I cleared a half dozen large rocks to open it up.  Someone with a larger bar and some help might affect it a bit more.  

Desertweaver

Thanks SilverBob. Look for you next week.
SilverBob

I think you've made a wise decision.  Hats off to you for asking for advice and actually heeding it!  So many others will post on this forum saying, "I'm thinking of doing XXXX, what do you think?"  Even after they read all the advice from those who have already made the mistakes, they'll try it anyway.  It usually ends up poorly!  I'd hate to see your 2 newbie friends have a very bad experience on their first trip to Saline!

We'll be in on the 20th for 4 days.  If you're still there, look me up.

Cheers!
SilverBob
Desertweaver

Thanks for all the input everyone. Much appreciated. 
Saline Jim, Really??? Been driving to Saline for 15 years in Subaru's and VW vans. Not one mechanical, breakdown or flat. Yes, that's really true. Call me lucky. If headed in from South Pass or North Pass why would one need high clearance? Busted shocks, shock mounts and axles do happen and also coincide with poor or to fast driving in my opinion. 
All said looks like we'll drive the long way round this time.
See you at the Springs,
Desertweaver
Mr.T

+1 on the warnings.  There's virtually no turn-around space, especially for a full-size van.   There's usually narrow side-hill spots with drop-offs that go a long way down, plus deep ruts and large rocks.
SalineJim

Desert Weaver you said you're a seasoned vet of Saline.  I would ask you why would you continue to drive a Van into Saline unless  it is lifted with clearance?  2/15 Sunday morning on our way out 2 guys were about 1/2 mile past lower springs.  Guess what they were driving?  You got it a van with a busted axle.  I am amazed at those that drive these vehicles into Saline.  Anyway look you're a big boy, you make the decision, but I have driven down Lippencott once and let me tell you it is nothing to be played with.  Happy travels and be safe.
SilverBob

Oh Boy!  A full size van coming down Lippincott!  What could possibly go wrong?  

Aw, what the heck?  The guys at Miller Towing have to eat too!  

I just hope you don't block the road so others in more appropriate vehicles can't get through.
Luckyduck 1

We went up it in a FJ, about a year ago... I would not do it if I were you, all things considered.   My wife was outside guiding me from rock to rock on 3 wheels.  No place to turn around, - we made it OK but they have had a lot of weather since.... (and going down would be worse.)

Desertweaver

As a long time visitor to both the main valley and Saline I'v always wanted to drive down the Lippincott Road. 
Planning a trip with two DV first timers next week 3/15/15 and wanted to get some input from the forum on the feasibility of taking my 2010 Chevy Express AWD down Lippincott form Racetrack.
I am a very well seasoned desert traveler and comfortable taking calculated risks. After watching videos of the entire Lippincott drive it seems to me that there are a couple narrow/tight  parts of the road and a few rock gardens that may challenge the van.
Can anyone here offer input? I'm hopefully to be able to finesse my way through the rocky bits that may challenge my clearance. And will my wheelbase and/or width be an issue on the tight spots?
Love the forum and looking forward to a soak and potluck at the springs.
-Desertweaver

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!