Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment  
cruzin' jason

As you have a 4x4 Toyota you should have no problem. I took my full size truck w/camper on this road in Nov and it was in fine shape, just a lot of washboard from crankshaft crossing into DV. However as you will be traveling after the winter storms, before heading out you might check the Death Valley Morning Report ( http://www.nps.gov/deva/upload/Morning-Report.pdf ) for the parks take on road conditions.

Also as an addendum to Matmiss's description, the road is paved from the Crater Sulfur Mine heading west until it reaches the Eureka Valley floor. Across valley floor it is an easy washboard dirt road until in reaches the other side where it becomes paved again.

My experience has been that as both sections of dirt on this route are for the most part both wide and straight folks tend to speed (sometimes 40mph+ and  throwing up gravel as they pass.)  Storm runoff can make cuts across the road and if you are traveling at speed these cuts often aren't seen until its too late.

VegasNaturist

Thanks Matmiss. I hope they grade this road more frequently than the South Pass! We drive a very capable 4x4 Toyota that can go just about anywhere, just getting tired of the ride on the South. North is great (especially since its been graded) but is a long way around going through Big Pine. I'm hoping by going around the Sulfur mine, I can shave an hour or so off the trip.

Thanks again for your input.

John
matmiss

The Big Pine/Scotty's road is a graded (sometimes) County Road and is usually in good shape, washboards not withstanding.  Normal vehicles can drive it. It's all dirt from the Sulfur mine down to Scotty's, paved from the mine west into Big Pine. 
VegasNaturist

We have visited the springs a few times, but we're looking for a shorter route from Las Vegas. We've come in from the South Pass, and frankly it will shake your teeth out. We have also come in on the North Pass via Big Pine. That is much better, but a long drive. I'm wondering about going up through Crankshaft Junction, across the top to Death Valley Rd, and in through the North Pass. I should mention we're not planning on coming in till Easter weekend though. Just wondering what the road conditions might be between the turnoff to Scotty's and Crankshaft Junction, and beyond?

John
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution