Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment  
tstone1227

There is Baja Rent-A-Car in southern San Diego, http://cabaja.com/

They rent 4x4s explicitly for the purpose of off-roading; Jeeps, 4Runners, etc. They rent cars for people servicing (but not participating in) the Baja 1000.

Cheaper than Farabee's, but farther away, too...[smile]
Yonderman

thanks heaps for these suggestions. The midway company sounds most excellently priced. I am heading out there Thurs next week and currently have a farabees booking. Really expensive, but from what has been said about north pass and bat road, justified.
Lysdexic

Midway car rentals, North Hollywood CA - http://www.midwayreservations.com/gallery/suv 

In June I rented a Jeep Sahara hardtop for $79/day. Good offroad tires, drove it over Mengel Pass and Lippencott. 

North Hollywood location saves you the airport fee.
Morrie

Regarding Midway, I'll bet the contract says in fine print somewhere that you can't take it on dirt roads, despite the tires and 4WD.  That's what I've run into at several  other places.  One outfit who said I could take it on dirt roads ahead of time still had written this their contract, but they crossed off that part when I got there.
Lysdexic

In June I rented a Jeep Sahara with decent offroad tires from Midway Car Rental in North Hollywood, CA. Cost was around $79/day. Best deal around. http://www.midwayreservations.com/gallery/suv

The NoHo location saves you the airport fees.

I drove it up Goler Wash, over Mengel Pass and down Lippencott. Stopped only to pull some poor pilgrim off the edge on Lippencott and get him back up toracetrack.
Morrie

Farabee's is expensive compared to a rental car but not actually that expensive for a capable jeep.  Some friends rented a similar jeep in Moab a few weeks ago from a different outfit, and it was even more expensive.  I've rented from Farabee's and they have very good vehicles, and they are very nice people.

I have my own jeep, but if I multiply the number of days I used it on roads where I actually needed a jeep, by the cost of a Farabee's rental for a day, it would have been much cheaper to rent from Farrabee's than to own one.  And that includes the additional cost of a rental car which you need to get to Farabee's.  Even not counting the purchase price, maintaining a jeep is hugely expensive.  Knowing what it costs, I'm kind of surprised they can even afford to stay in business, but I hope they do!
Yonderman

Thanks Mr T - yes farabees are expensive, but I guess its peace of mind, and that's a big thing for me at this stage of life...not that I am old as the hills or anything like that, but I am a lot more into playing it safe than  15-20 years ago when I was driving to Saline in a masda 323 lift back!!
Mr.T

Farabee's is the only one I know of in the area.  Friends of mine have used them on trips with me and were very satisfied.  Expect it to be more expensive than a typical rental vehicle, which I've heard are including fine print in the rental/insurance agreements excluding off-road use.

Have fun, [smile]
Yonderman

Greetings people
Does anybody know where I can rent a jeep or other 4wd to go to the springs? I can only find Farabees as a company that will rent jeeps that have good tires etc.

I am a New Zealand national who has been going to Saline Valley annually since the mid 90s (some people, including Lee, remember the "smiling kiwi"). I work in western USA at this time of year, and usually manage to borrow a capable 4wd from a friend to head in to the springs for a few days leave at the end. I used to just take normal rental company 4wds in there until I got a flat tire on the north pass one night and had to crawl out on the spare doughnut tire. Never again. 

Hope to hear from one or more of you with suggestions.

Thanks
Yonderman
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution