Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
kurt765

I'd love to see an itemized breakdown of the cost of a $38,000 tow.
Salt Peter

Wow that's kinda nuts. I've been up that road a couple times to the trailhead and it didn't seem too bad. Even saw some Subies at the TH. My guess is that they had little off road experience and panicked during an off camber event. Glad the occupants are ok.
Sam D.

From https://www.facebook.com/groups/socaloffroadrecovery/?fref=nf

Miller1.jpg 
Miller2.jpg 
Miller3.jpg 

Miller4.jpg 

chuckt53

If it the one I am thinking about. It is off Granite View Drive, then onto a dirt road that leads to the trail head for the Ashram. This would make two vehicles that got recovered in a week on the same road.

https://ohtheplacestheygo.wordpress.com/2015/11/01/hiking-to-the-lone-pine-ashram/

Chuck
trigger

I was told you need to click “join group” and get permission granted to view and read about it. It’s a closed group apparently. Sorry I’m not a social media guy so not too familiar with all that stuff. It is So Cal Offroad Recovery (SCOR) tho.
trigger

Looks like they did winch it up the hill with the tow trucks. Apparently they cleaned up the road with the bulldozer to get the tow trucks up the hill to do the recovery. It read somewhere outside of Lonepine. I’ll try to add a link or some photos if I can. My wife showed me the photos on Facebook.
paul belanger

Something doesn't seem right about this. Using a bulldozer to make a road? Where was this exactly? How far down was it? Couldn't you just winch the wreck up the hill?
Sam D.

Do not see any discussion here:
https://www.facebook.com/scor.offroad.recovery/

Anybody got a link?
trigger

You should be able to get to it by going to the SCOR (So Cal Offroad Recovery) Facebook page.
Thunder58

Yes! Please provide the FB link! I cannot find anything on it in Google

Dpsmedic

@Trigger, Any photos available or link to the story?
Sparky of SoCal

We use helicopters at work to set equipment often and fit the budget a lot of time because of saved man hours alone. I know the car weighs less than some of the stuff we move. I picture two picks. One to get bulk out and another with a basket to pick out the loose parts.
singletrackdog

Not sure of all the circumstances, but with some disassembly a helicopter would likely be cheaper.

Helicopter I’m sure would be much more. The vehicle was totaled and in a really bad spot down the hill and off the road. It read on Facebook that the insurance company paid the bill but who knows for sure.
Sparky of SoCal

I wonder how much another company and a helicopter would cost.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution