Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4
knockknock

I agree With Salt and PAul
paul belanger

I received the email. I went to the site and looked at the 382 pages. I was already familiar with the five alternatives. I think the options outlined in this latest document are about as good as we could’ve hoped for. The NPS seems to be committed to allowing us to camp there. Fencing the Hot Springs and keeping the burros out that is not a bad idea. The 30 day rule is always been there. My biggest question, and I’m slogging through it to see if there’s an answer, is will there be a restriction to the number of permits issued on a given weekend? Such as Thanksgiving. Will one have to get a reservation two years in advance to go to Thanksgiving at Saline Valley?

Rabbit and persons of that persuasion are, of course, entitled to their opinion. But this particular forum is obviously dedicated to the people who actually know what’s out there, have attended regularly for years, take care of, and love that place. The idea that you’re gonna lock like people out is ridiculous. It’s the oldest false adage in the environmentalist handbook....Can’t have the public out on the public lands now, can we?

Encourage everyone to attend the public commentary sessions. I think having some government oversight is not a bad thing. A lot of us thought that when the Desert Protection Act passed in 1992 it would be the end of it. But it’s wasn’t. If you read into this latest document you will see they talk at length about the hippies and the beat generation and the social significance of the springs to the counterculture movement in the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s. It is an historical monument to the social atmosphere in the country at that time and should be protected as such. Nudity and all. The Desert Protection Act states that the lands should remain as they were when the government took over on January 1, 1993. It would not be legal, moral, ethical for the government to remove the springs and/or completely restrict access to that area. It seems to me that this latest document agrees with that sentiment.

I think it’s a positive thing.
Salt Peter

Pretty sure most govt. regulations go through the public comment period. Not sure how those comments are weighed in regard to how the regulations are actually finalized. SPA and everyone concerned about the status of the area have a vested interest in the outcome. These are the people who will take the time to make educated conclusion and present it when necessary.
knockknock

I have to say ,people do not understand Gov  regulations and thats whats happening with saline because it is a National Park

Salt Peter

Here we go...

https://parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHome.cfm?projectID=39438

Saline Valley Warm Springs Management Plan EIS

Death Valley National Park » Saline Valley Warm Springs Management Plan EIS » Document List

The National Park Service (NPS) invites you to review and comment on the Saline Valley Warm Springs Draft Management Plan and Environmental Impact Statement (draft plan/EIS). Because your feedback is essential to the development of the EIS, we are asking for your thoughtful review and comments during the 60-day comment period, concluding July 2, 2018.
The plan's purpose is to develop a management strategy for the Saline Valley Warm Springs area that will complement the Death Valley National Park General Management Plan (GMP). The draft plan/EIS is intended to provide a framework for: natural and cultural resources management; administration and operations; and managing visitor use at the warm springs area.

You are encouraged to comment on the draft plan/EIS through this website. Comments can be made by clicking on the "Open for Comment" link at the left side of this page and selecting the document and then clicking "Comment Now" button. You may also mail or hand-deliver your written comments to Superintendent Mike Reynolds, Death Valley National Park, P.O. Box 579, Death Valley, CA 92328.

A limited number of hard copy documents are available at park headquarters in addition to public libraries in Bishop, CA, Lone Pine, CA, Pahrump, NV, Ridgecrest, VA, and the Inyo County Free Library in Independence, CA.

The NPS will hold public meetings during the comment period near the park at the following locations:

•Sunday, May 27, 2018 from 1:00-2:00pm PT at the Saline Valley Warm Springs
•Tuesday, May 29, 2018 from 5:30-7:30pm PT at the Ridgecrest Historical Society, 230 West Ridgecrest Blvd, Ridgecrest, CA 93555
•Wednesday, May 30, 2018 from 5:30-7:30pm PT at the Inyo Council for the Arts, 137 South Main St, Bishop, CA 93514

In addition to the public meetings, the NPS will host a webinar on Thursday May 31 at 5:30pm PT. For more information and to register click on 'Meeting Notices.'

As vital contributors to the planning process, we hope you take the opportunity to provide feedback, and if possible, join us at the public meetings. Thank you.

Superintendent Mike Reynolds
Death Valley National Park
P.O. Box 579,
Death Valley, CA 92328

Document List:
https://parkplanning.nps.gov/documentsList.cfm?parkID=297&projectID=39438

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.